Chapter 5

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

*******************************

Percy studied the woman before him, now appropriately dressed in a blue chiton. Her curly blonde hair was brushed neatly into a braid down her back. The demigod looked to be about twenty years of age. Every so often, her vigilant eyes would look at him warily.

"Here, before you keel over from hunger again." He pushed a plate of figs, grapes, ambrosia, cheese, and bread towards her. "If you require meat, I suppose we could find some tuna."

"Tuna?"

"Yes, from the very same tuna that dared to lure you into danger."

Her gray eyes looked up at him skeptically.

The sea god cracked a small smile. "I only jest. Has my humor dulled over these years? Now eat, for you must have ample energy to field the questions I will ask, and I only imagine you have many of your own. But if you do not eat, then I will endeavor to answer none of yours."

She opened her mouth as if to protest, but then closed. "Thank you," she said quietly and then obediently picked up a cluster of grapes instead. Her shoulders would tense up, but Percy surmised that it was because he was observing her.

Her rough hands and tanned skin indicated that she was someone used to working out in the sun. She was quite pretty, but Percy knew first hand just how beauty could be used as a weapon.

Aside from the dagger, she had no other armament on her person. And yet, Percy sensed the truth when he overheard her say that she knew nothing about being a daughter of Athena, let alone being a demigod. But for a demigod of a strong Olympian to live this many years without knowing about her heritage was rare indeed. When he was about her age, he had already survived many monster attacks.

He played with the dagger in his hands. What Percy was most interested in was how this dagger came to be in the possession of a daughter of Athena, who did not know who she was, and had somehow broken into the magical boundary he had placed over his palace. In truth, he would have much rather never seen the dagger again.

Nearly a hundred years ago, this dagger contained enough power to completely destroy a soul into nothingness with a simple cut and then some. Now, as he held it into his hands, he could feel no sign of such destructive power. Even when Percy probed a bit of his godly power into the blade, the dagger did not accept the power, behaving like a completely normal dagger.

Perhaps after being used in that deadly battle so long ago, all the power was drained away, leaving just the shell. Else, it was a superior duplicate without the enchantment, and there were many talented forgers who could make such copies of weapons. Percy had encountered many counterfeits of famous weapons over the years. He would have to study the blade in more detail.

"I'm done eating, thank you." The woman announced, pushing the empty plate away.

With a flick of his wrist, the Nereids cleared the dishes.

"Leave us," Percy commanded.

"My lord..." Doris said, hesitantly. The Nereid's eyes darted anxiously at the female demigod.

"Leave. Do not make me repeat my words thrice." Percy said, quietly. It was not as though the daughter of Athena was a threat in this underwater world where the sea gods were at the prime of their power.

Ione tugged Doris out, leaving Percy and the woman alone.

Percy swirled some nectar in his goblet as he observed her. "What is your name?"

"Annabeth. And may I ask your name? My lord." Annabeth added as an afterthought.

"I am Perseus, son of Poseidon."