Chapter 8

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

***************************************

Poseidon tapped his trident on the floor in anger as Percy gave his report. "The audacity of this unknown enemy to assault a guest on our own seas."

"Father, I believe...the Blade of Souls is connected to this."

Poseidon's eyes grew stormy and dark. "What?"

Percy recounted what he knew. He had thought the weapon had been either lost over time or destroyed from the battle. Then the dagger had reappeared on Annabeth's person, but she had stolen it from the man who had found her as an abandoned baby.

"You should have told me this earlier, Perseus." The elder sea god's face was sober.

"I apologize, Father. The blade did not accept my power, so I wanted to do research further before reporting my findings." Percy told next of his thoughts that Annabeth had been lured out with the dagger and the foiled attempt on her life.

Poseidon took the dagger Percy offered. Just as Percy had done, the lord of the seas first offered a sliver of his own godly power, which did nothing.

"Father!" Percy startled as Poseidon was about to cut his own arm. "Would it not be better if I do that?"

"Peace, my son. I am assured the dagger will not do much to me." Poseidon cut across the palm of his left hand and a sliver of golden ichor leaked out. However, nothing else occurred. "It truly does appear to be nothing but a mere knife. But the design of this blade indicates it was made centuries ago, back in the early days when the elder Cyclopes just began their work."

"So, it is indeed not the Blade of Souls?"

"I cannot say for certain, either. If it were only a normal blade, then our enemies would not be so desperate in trying to steal it." Poseidon was troubled. "We shall keep this in our vault in caution, daughter of Athena."

Annabeth, who was beside him, had been quietly listening to the sea gods talk. "I...understand." Though she had fought for the use of the blade earlier, now she looked slightly relieved to have it off her hands after the attempt on her life.

"Father. Whoever we are dealing with, whatever we are dealing with seems to have experience and knowledge of the seas."

The lord of the seas furrowed his brow. "I will mobilize our armies to start a quiet inquest into who may be stirring up filth. In the meantime, Perseus, investigate the origins of the blade and how it came to be here. However, do not take action on your own. I fear that this enemy brings much danger indeed."

"I will carry out your orders, Father."

Poseidon nodded, still troubled by what had occurred. In a flash of sea bubbles, the sea god vanished. Four dolphin guards took the dagger away to be locked up.

"Come. We have much to do."

But the demigod was glowering.

"What is it?" Percy turned back to her.

"You let me have the dagger on purpose, didn't you? You used me as bait. I thought it was strange that you let me have the dagger so easily."

Percy did a mock bow. "Congratulations, Wise Girl. You figured it out."

"Spare me your condescension. I could have died as your bait." Annabeth's eyes were accusatory as she stomped towards him, fists clenched.

"Welcome to the world of the gods." Percy said, sarcastically. "Where half-bloods are meant to be used, according to the will of the gods."