Chapter 5- Defense Treaty

(February 17, 2022)

In the hangar bay of the Hood, the hangar is filled with the sound of saws, welding equipment, and other heavy machinery. Across the hangar bay, teams of the Hood's crew, with a few Sith workers, are hard at work, working to patch up the damage in the hangar bay sustained during the fight with the Eclipse.

It's been two years since the Hood first arrived on Zallin and made contact with the Sith. Since then, the Hood and the Sith settlements on Zallin have settled pretty well into a status quo.

Soon after Hood's arrival at the planet, they had begun mining operations on Zallin. The targets of mining included metal to patch the damaged parts of the hull and rebuild weapons that they could rebuild, as well as various minerals to rebuild wiring and circuits that had been damaged or destroyed in the battle.

For the first 7 months, the repair efforts were entirely mapping out the repairs that were needed and mining the materials that would be needed. Then, in early August of 2020, the actual repair work began on the battlecruiser.

Since the repairs began, the work has progressed smoothly. The Sith, despite not knowing the ship and its technology, have proved to be good workers, and relatively easy to instruct in how to carry out the repairs.

The forward sections of the ship have been fully repaired, and now efforts are being focused on the hangar bay and the outer damage on the stern, which are areas with some of the most serious damage from the battle with the Eclipse. If all things continue on schedule, these repairs will take another 6 months, and then repairs will begin on the weapons emplacements that required more than minor repairs, the engines, and the bridge.

In a corner of the hangar, one of the officers in charge of a work crew is sorting some supplies that just got delivered from the planet's surface. Suddenly, he hears, in a distinct accent, "Excuse me? Lieutenant?"

The lieutenant turns to look and sees one of the Sith on his crew looking at him. The Sith who had been recruited to work on the ship itself had all learned English in the time since they had come to work on the ship so they could communicate with the crew, since all members of the crew knew English.

"Yes?" the lieutenant asks.

"My torch is running low. I need more propane," the Sith responds.

"Gotcha," the lieutenant says. He quickly grabs a tank of propane over to the Sith and hands it over to him.

The Sith nods in thanks before he swaps out the tank on his welding torch. He then puts his mask on again and resumes his work. He's currently working on cutting a sheet of metal for one of the ordnance elevators in the hangar bay.

As the lieutenant walks back to his work, he thinks again on how lucky they are to have the Sith working with them on the repairs. This Sith colony had a slightly different culture than that of their ancient ancestors, brought on by the hardships of surviving on this planet after being stranded there. Although war was still an integral part of their society, they had also developed a strong sense of working together for their own survival. Because of that, they had a pretty good work ethic when committed to a task, and they had been excellent workers since day 1. In addition, their physical strength helped with many required tasks.

As this is continuing in the hangar bay, up on the bridge, Captain Moorhouse is reading the most recent reports from the officers overseeing the repairs. These reports come in once a day unless something goes wrong. It's an important part of his role as captain, but a boring one.

As Moorhouse is reading, he suddenly hears a loud beeping. His head quickly snaps his head up, because he recognizes this sound. It's the alarm to signal that ships are coming out of hyperspace.