Chapter 9- Revenge Strike

(May 30, 2025)

On the bridge of the Hood, Admiral Pellaeon is in an urgent meeting with his top leaders and advisors, including Captain Moorhouse, Colonel Ronen, Iden Versio, Major General Strickland, and Colonel Shevchenko. All of them have gathered together to discuss the operation they are about to undertake. The assault against the lizard race known as the Bloodfangs.

"As you know, we have limited information on the geography of the Bloodfangs' home planet. The Callistans have no information on their home planet, and the reconnaissance runs we have done on the planet have not given us as much information as we would like. However, we have a general idea of the geography of the planet," Pellaeon says, continuing the discussion that has been ongoing for the last few minutes.

Pellaeon then pulls up a hologram of the planet created using information gathered by reconnaissance runs by some of the Hood's starfighters. Pellaeon points to a highlighted dot positioned along the planet's equator.

"According to what evidence we have collected, this position here is the location of what we presume to be the capitol city. There are few cities on the planet beside it, with most of the population living in smaller towns and villages. It seems that there are more settlements in the planet's northern hemisphere than in the southern hemisphere. Reconnaissance photographs also suggest that most of their space-capable ships are kept in a staging area not far from the capitol," Pellaeon continues.

Pellaeon presses another button, and several symbols appear on the hologram. "The Bloodfangs, from what we know, revere their supreme leader. For that reason, the assault will be carried out as follows: Upon our arrival at the planet, the ship will descend into atmosphere and land all troops south of the capitol city before ascending back into orbit. Once back in orbit, the air wing will launch and begin air strikes against military targets in the southern hemisphere while the ship will destroy the enemy ships from orbit and begin an orbital bombardment of the northern hemisphere while the ground troops assault the capitol."

Pellaeon then looks directly at Ronen and Iden Versio. "Colonel Ronen, Commander Versio, you two will lead the other members of Inferno Squad on a special mission into the capitol. Once the main ground assault on the capitol has begun and drawn the Bloodfangs' attention to the south, you will enter the city from the north by stealth. Your goal will be to capture or kill the Supreme Leader of the Bloodfangs."

"Understood, Admiral," Versio responds quickly. Ronen nods in agreement.

"If we strike quickly and with overwhelming force, it should be almost as easy a victory as we experienced over the aliens that attacked Zallin. Stick to your training, and fight until we've accomplished our goals. Understood?" Pellaeon finishes his briefing and speech.

"Yes, sir," voices echo around the holotable.

"Good. Then make it so," Pellaeon says.

(Hours later)

Pellaeon stares intently at the display table, waiting patiently for the offload to finish.

The Hood had arrived at the Bloodfangs' planet just a short time ago, and had descended to the surface to offload the 61st Brigade and 6th Armoured Division. Now, the last personnel of the 6th Armoured is disembarking from the ship.

Right then, he hears Moorhouse say, "Admiral, the last troops have left the ship. All ground troops have disembarked."

"Good. Take the ship back into orbit and alert the air group commander. Tell him to ready his starfighters and bombers for attacks on the surface," Pellaeon orders.