Chapter 6: The Kind Wolf

Salem

"You've become such a heartless Alpha, ever since you returned from that strange land. Don't you see you're killing a she-wolf who seemed much younger than your sister?" she complained.

"Leave Madison; you have no business here," warned the alpha.

"I do." I felt the woman stand before me.

"I will not stand here like all the other she-wolves and watch you mistreat her," she protested.

"She's not like anyone of the she-wolves in this pack; she's a thief and scoundrel just like her kind."

"I don't care. I will not stand here and watch her die," said the strange wolf, fighting hard to protect me.

"Fine. I will leave her to you, but make sure she comes off my land before noon." I heard the alpha grumble as he walked away.

"You all go home as well!" yelled the female at the crowd, disappointedly.

"I'm so sorry about what happened to you; I wish I was here in time to save you," she then said to me.

She was an elderly, dark-haired lady. I wanted to cry, thankful that she had the heart to save me. Yet again, I couldn't.

"I'm going to carry you to my house; your wounds need to be treated," said the female.

"No," I told her.

I couldn't go with her; I was not safe here. I was much safer in the depths of the forest.

"Your body needs treatment; it's too weak to heal on its own."

"No, I just need food; I'm hungry," I told her.

She looked at me, confused.

Suddenly, I saw her searching her bag. She took out a weird, clear container. She opened it, and a flavorful scent hit my nose.

"Here, I hope this piece of chicken can give you the strength you need."

She placed it before me. My head slowly moved away from it. I didn't like it; it didn't smell like the meat of the animals I'd killed. It smelled like she added something strange to it.

"Don't you want it?" she said. "It's tasty."

"It doesn't smell fresh," I retorted.

"Haven't you ever eaten cooked meat?" she asked, appalled.

"No."

"Please taste it, and you'll see it's good."

She again placed it before my mouth, and I licked it. The taste was good. I eat it quickly. After I was through, she gave me some water. I lapped it up. I could feel my body slowly begin to heal, and I was anxious to return to the depths of the forest.

"Thank you," I told her as I watched her put the container into her small brown bag.

"You're welcome," she retorted.

"Your wounds are slowly healing now, but I fear the scar won't leave because of the whip my cold-hearted nephew used to hit you," she told me. "You may walk around forever with that scar."

She then sadly touched my forehead, seeing the word he had written on it: "nothing."

She began to cry. My eyes closed before I could too.

"How old are you?" she asked.

"Eighteen," I retorted.

I know I shouldn't be speaking to any stranger, but she is the only wolf who is kind to me. All I can do is give her an answer to questions I'm not afraid to respond to.

"Why did you choose to be a part of the rogue pack?" she asked curiously.

I couldn't answer that question. I wasn't a part of the pack. I looked away from her.

"Were you alone, that's why?"

I nodded. My answer wasn't entirely a lie. I was, in fact, alone, but I knew nothing about that pack. Though I have been punished for being a part of a pack I never knew of, it was better than anyone discovering I was a part of The River Pack.

"I'm sorry," she apologized.

I whimpered, sadly.

She then gently touched my head, and my eyes closed, comforted by her touch. I soon felt I had enough energy to leave. I tried to get up, and my body quivered as I did.

"Take your time." She stood up as well.

I was now standing on my four feet.

"If my daughter was alive today, she would be your age," I heard her say.

I looked at her, now knowing why she fought to save me.

"I wish you could stay with me until you've fully healed. If you're worried about the alpha, he wouldn't bother you there; he barely visits me."

"It's okay," I told her.

"I could even try to make him take you as a new pack member."

"I'll be fine," I lied.

I was thankful she was trying to help me when I was nothing but a stranger to her, but I was not safe with her or around that cruel alpha.

I thanked her and limped back into the depths of the forest.

As I arrived at the depths of the forest, I curled up in my home, not bothering to get rid of the blood from my fur. I cried like a pup for everything I'd been through. At that moment, I now knew more than ever why my grandmother didn't want me to leave the depths of the forest—it was not only because of The Grey Pack but others. Outside of the depths of the forest was a cold world, and I was better off without it. I wished I had never once yearned to see it, receiving what had been waiting out there for me all along.