Chasing Cars

Song - Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

Before they knew it, the two agents were back in Emily's apartment after a long day of catching up with one another. They both knew that they weren't ready to let go of the other, and that it wouldn't be likely that they'd see each other again soon.

And it was killing both of them.

Aaron hated himself for feeling for her the way he did. He could never give her what she deserved. She lived in Paris. Four thousand miles away from him. His love for her was simply not enough to survive.

Emily knew that it was going to be hard to let him go when he had to leave, but she didn't want to think about long term consequences. She wanted to be there with him.

XXX

"She said that? While you were all right there?"

"Yep. In front of the entire police department."

Emily burst into laughter as Aaron told her about Strauss confronting Rossi on a case, which eventually led into arguing their personal relationship, which was uncomfortable for the rest of the people in the building.

They walked back into her apartment building and Emily hit the man's shoulder as she laughed.  After a few drinks at a bar, they decided to come back to her apartment before things got too chaotic.

"Emily," he said once they both settled, "I really don't know how to thank you for making today so wonderful. Being here with you was enough, no matter what we did, but today- it was. . . perfect."

A broad smile spread across her face. "You don't need to thank me. I'm just glad you're here."

"There's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be."

A thick curtain of tension was suddenly formed between them as they stood so close. All of their happy moments together came rushing back to both of them as they stood there. All of the bad memories that made them stronger. The long nights in different cities. The jet rides to and from various cities together.

All of it was right in front of them. Between them. It was up in the air, and both of them were too afraid to risk all of those memories for something so risky. So dangerous.

However, for better or for worse, they didn't get to make that decision. The alcohol did it for them.

In an instant, his lips were on hers. A jolt of shock surged through her as he waited for some kind of confirmation. "Fuck it," Emily whispered against his lips before kissing him back with equally as much need.

All of those memories and all of their time together was now poured into this moment. The desire for one another had grown too strong now. His hands roamed her body as she tried to pull him impossibly closer.

"Aaron," she gasped for a breath, breaking their kiss. "you're going to miss your flight. It's almost eight."

He wasn't about to let her go that easily. Both of them knew that it couldn't end here. "There will be more flights," he said against the soft skin of her neck as he kissed his way down her collarbone.

Emily grinned and grabbed onto his bicep. "My room is 221,"

"Okay," he said through his kisses. "Second floor?"

"Yeah, yeah, the elevator," she mumbled against his lips as they stumbled into the elevator, refusing to let go of each other.

Emily hit the button and then was quickly pinned to the wall of the elevator by Aaron. She laughed at his inability to take his hands away from her for two seconds. Her hands bunched in his suit jacket that was soon pulled off of his shoulders and thrown carelessly on the floor.

The elevator dinged loudly, causing them to part as the doors parted slowly, only to reveal an elderly woman in front of the doors, holding a cat in its carrier.

The woman's eyes darted between Emily, Aaron's crinkled shirt, and his blazer lying on the floor.

Emily quickly left the elevator, leaving Aaron to pick up his jacket. A heat rose on his cheeks as he tried to explain what happened. Most of it came out in incoherent mumbles. Emily laughed. The woman wouldn't be able to understand his English, anyways.

Aaron eagerly caught up to her and shook his head. "What are you doing to me?"

"I think you're losing your touch," she teased, unlocking the door to her apartment.

"I am not," he said firmly, following her as she threw her keys onto the table and eagerly was rid of her jacket. Aaron's heart was racing as she grabbed onto his hand, leading him just outside of her bedroom, where they stood, tongues practically down each others throats.

"Em," he pulled away, "are you sure you want this?" he asked in a low, gravelly voice.

"Yes, I'm sure," she replied softly. "So long, Aaron. I've wanted this for so long."

"Me too," he said just before their lips were once again locked together.

Aaron's lips trailed down her neck as she eagerly unbuttoned his shirt. I'm an instant, he flipped them around and pinned Emily to the wall.

After all of these years, Emily mused, she had been missing out on this. As she opened his shirt, she found that even his scars were visible in the dim light of the bedroom.

He quickly found the same thing. Only, her scar was more recent than his own. It enraged him to see the pain that Doyle had physically inflicted upon her.

Emily caught him staring and placed a hand below his jaw, tilting his head back up so she could look at him. "I'm okay," she assured him.

Her dark eyes completely absorbed him as she spoke. He nodded his head slowly and then kissed her lips gently. Their kisses quickly became more and more frantic, until Emily took charge and pushed him back onto the bed, awaiting the long night ahead of them.

XXX

Emily woke up beside Aaron hours later, tangled in the sheets and his arms. The clock beside her bed ticked loudly every second as she stared up at the ceiling.

She just slept with Aaron Hotchner. Her boss. Well, ex-boss. But more importantly, her friend. Things wouldn't be the same between them again. How could they be?

It was doomed to end. She was in Paris and he was in a whole different world. Emily scolded herself mentally for having so many drinks last night. Her judgement was clouded, and her mind was foggy.

Yet, somehow, she'd never felt more sober in her life.