Chapter One

Then Death Will Follow
Rough Edit

6 months ago...
"You awake yet?"

Cecilia slowly opened her eyes. The ache in her body, the soreness in her muscles. It was less than surprising. She'd adapted to the drunkenness and the occasional less than ideal situations she'd had to pull herself through.

Once everything double became one, panic rushed through her.

"You awake yet, honey?"

An older, greyed man sat next to her. His warm hand gripping her wrist as he checked her heart rate. He noticed her paleness, the purple under her eyes. But the life she held behind them he'd seen before, almost as if this stranger was a threat to him at an instant. But disregarded the past she might've held.

She groaned. Her heart racing, she pulled her hand sluggishly from his grasp. He didn't fight her. He stared at her as she tossed around on the cot. Slowly finding the strength to sit up. She found that the stranger that saved her— now looking more fresh than her— was standing at the doorway of what appeared to be a cell. His arms crossed. Leaning against the doorframe of this infirmary-like-situation. His beige button up was sweat stained, and dirt had smudged itself onto his sleeve and chest.

"She stable?" The stranger asked, his voice no more stern than the old man's.
"Yes. She's just shaken, weak. But she should be fine for now." The old man reached behind him. Grabbing the crutches and standing. Her eyes trailing down his legs to see one of his gone. She was shocked, her eyes widened yet she chose to say nothing. The situation she was in was too far jarring.

As the old man left, the young stranger walked in. Grabbing the chair the man had sat in he slowly sat himself down upon it. His eyes watching her every movement. A revolver stuck to his hip. He acted as if he wouldn't pull it out at any second; yet she knew he would.

"Your name." He demanded from the painful silence. His eyes trailing her body to see if she'd swing, or if she'd stay frozen in her sitting position.

She didn't respond. Flinching, almost scoffing at his sudden response to her being awake.

"I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours." He leaned back in his chair, looking her in the eyes. He knew he had the power he did, and used it. She frowned. Turning her slumped body to stare back.

That move confused the man. His brows twitched, as if thinking she'd been through this type of interrogation before.

"... Cecilia." She responded hesitantly.
"I'm Rick. I lead this place." He nodded. His familiar blond curls falling in his eyes as he shifted in his chair. Taking a moment to decide if she was calm enough not to attack him before continuing.

"We took your people in yesterday, they got comfortable quick. Found you on the road. You were pretty badly beaten, drunk, did you come from Woodbury?" He questioned. Getting into a more relaxed conversation, which, was alright for her. She was uncomfortable with the situation but this man seemed alright for the circumstances.
"I don't know The Governor." She said quickly. Shaking her head. But Rick could see through her lie. She wasn't good at it.

"It's okay if you do. Everyone here does." He raised his arms, motioning to the place around himself. He didn't seem on edge anymore, the stern and angry man that walked in was melting away as he had started to open up to her. Since she as well was on edge, Rick was too with the fact he took as many Woodbury civilians as he could in.