CHAPTER NINE

As Jaune was lingering outside The Garrison, his usual steady hand struggling to grasp his match to spark up his cigarette. It was sometimes the case in the evenings that he started to flash back to the horrors he'd witnessed in vale. Though it was nothing a drink wouldn't fix. Whisky was the best medicine after all.

As Finn spoke jaune's unsteady hand finally managed to spark a flame on the matchstick as he lit his cigarette, slowly exhaling the smoke from his nostrils as his brother told the tale. So far things seemed to be checking out, the local police seemed to be barking up the wrong tree, and that suited the Shelby's just fine. "Well done Finn." Jaune said simply, patting his young brother's shoulder and grabbing the boy a shilling from his pocket. "Don't tell John I paid you, he'll get jealous." He said, a pretend expression of seriousness on his face. "Bed with ya." Jaune then instructed, watching as the young boy ran off home.

After discarding his cigarette jaune stepped inside the pub, for a moment there was silence as the patrons glanced in his direction, quickly averting their eyes and speaking in low whispers as Jaune made his way to the bar. "Whisky Harry."

He spoke to the barman, his voice cutting through the murmurs as he approached the bar. His reputation around Small Heath was growing, infact amongst the north both his own name and the name of the Peaky Blinders seemed to send woman rushing in to their homes and swiftly bolting the doors. Bizarre, he would think to himself. They never went out of their way to hurt women, and especially children. They weren't complete fucking savages.

As soon as he had reached a stool at the bar a large glass of whisky was set in front of him. "Tah." He spoke in his rough brummie accent. "And send those lot a glass will you, might hush their fucking whispers." He added, tilting his head in the direction of the pale faced men in the corner.

It was getting dark fast as the evening slowly but steadily turned into the night. The sound of horse hooves could be heard outside the Garrison. Suddenly, a dappled gray horse stopped in front of the establishment.

A woman got off it and tied the horse on a slipknot. She looked left and right, then pulled an overcoat closer to her body. She grabbed a jug with a chipped edge from a saddlebag and then walked into the Garrison. She didn't greet anyone. There was no use. Who would greet a lady like her?

As Jaune reached inside the pocket of his jacket and removed his box of cigarettes, placing them on the bar beside him. He took a gulp of his whiskey and set his glass back down on the bar before reaching for his matches. When the door had swung open he glanced over his shoulder, he would always take note of those that entered The Garrison. There were some nasty men in this world, though it was a rare occurrence that a lone female would enter the pub at this hour.

                       CHANGE LOCATION

It's a mistake, the first time. He's hurting, angry with teammates, there and gone, upset with himself, tired from the lack of sleep and the physical exertion that comes from taking on jobs that are for a complete team by himself. Angry at this woman, who failed his friend, left him in a mockery of the word family. She's angry as well, familial reminders sweeping in at the insults she'd given her brother. There's pride there too, and stubbornness. Who could this stranger be, that he thinks he's a better brother. They are arguing, angry with each other, hands at each other's throats, until the hands start moving. Neither can say who started it.
It's not love. They both say it, him in his sneering grunts and her in her moans that do nothing to hide the look on her disgust. She's 6 years older than him, taller, richer, his commanding officer and more importantly a friend's sister. A superior in every way. They rationalize it in their heads, even as they tear off each other's clothes, in the cramped closet. Pleasure, the baser need of humans in this terrible world. By the end of it, neither can look at each other, before leaving. It is assumed that it is a one time thing.