1. Out-of-Place Goldie

As we walked through the halls in a single-file line, I had been singing some Mozart under my breath. I hadn't a clue as to what building we were in, but I knew we weren't going to perform in front of a crowd, we weren't traveling. Just simple rehearsal. Perhaps we were in the concert hall—only God knows.

Suddenly, we stopped walking. Since I was in my own world, I bumped into the boy in front of me, frantically apologizing to him and those behind me. A few moments of silence passed.

"Why have we stopped?" I asked to the boy in front of me, whispering.

"I don't know," he replied calmly.

After about a minute or two, the choirmaster—Mr. Steiner—had us all line up against the wall, shoulder-to-shoulder. He paced around a bit before informing us the news.

"Boys, I hate to say it, but we'll have to rehearse here in the hall," he stated.

We exchanged curious glances to one another. We didn't see the harm in rehearsing in the hallway, why was he so disappointed?

I wasn't keeping track of time, lost in my choir-mates and my own voice. Whenever I reach a certain note, it sounds like I have a lisp. Mr. Steiner loves it, he thinks it's cute.

A few minutes before we were released we just chatted and relaxed. We were heading out to London, my birthplace, in a week, so we've been practicing hard. Well, we're also going through and performing in some places in Germany. London is the goal; such a long journey we have ahead of us.

Mr. Steiner suddenly clapped his hands together. "Okay, boys, you're free to go," he announced. "Though, Oliver, may I see to you in my office?"

I nodded and my heart began to race. Hesitantly, I made my way over to him. Had I done something wrong? I felt his hand touch my back as we walked together to the door of his office, which was just down the hall.

I entered first, he told me to sit down in the chair in front of his desk, which was only to the left once you entered. The room was small and very messy. The only light source were a few candles, no windows. It got darker once he shut the door, I also heard the lock click.

I shuddered as he placed his hands on each of my shoulders behind me. "Herr Steiner—"

"Yes?"

"...Could you not rub my shoulders this time? I don't like it." I wanted to leave. Something in my subconscious even told me to make a mad dash for it. But, I would have to wait until he sat down for he was much stronger than I and could easily pin me to the floor. It had happened before.

He moved to go back behind his desk. "For the past two years you haven't minded it, what is so different now?" He sat down.

I shrugged. "I never liked it, but it made you happy so I let you." I took note of a box-shaped object on the desk covered by a sheet.

He smiled. "All right," he said with a chuckle. "I see you've noticed the cage."

"The cage?"

Slowly, he took off the sheet, revealing a small cage, as he had said. I couldn't tell what was inside. He then opened the top and reached inside, grabbing something under a leaf. It was moving as he held it up, then I noticed what it was. A spider.

I nearly screamed as I pushed the chair back, still sitting in it, to get away from it as far as the room would let me. Mr. Steiner laughed as he pet the thing with his free hand.

"Herr Steiner, that is a tarantula!" I cried.

He was still laughing. "Yes, good eye, Oliver!"

I took off my hat and began to fiddle with it. "I hate spiders, you could have shown me him as he was still in the cage!"

"She," he corrected with a wide grin. "She hasn't a hook."

I groaned. "Same thing!"

His hearty laugh had me uneasy. Suddenly he stood and made his way over to me. Get out of there, Oliver!

I shut my eyes tight. I felt as he placed the spider on my shoulder. It crawled over to and up my neck. "Wh..." I swallowed. "What was the reason you had me come to your office?"

He placed his hand on my shoulder as he took off the spider from my head. Once the thing was off, I put my hat back on. He gently replaced the spider in its cage and once he began to take off his tie I had taken a look at my pocket watch then, without even giving myself time to read it, I immediately stood. I knew where this was going, and I didn't like it at all.

"I must be headed home now, I am terribly sorry. Good-bye, I will see you to-morrow, so you may show me then." That being said, I dashed out of the room and down the hall.

Had he been calling my name? I wasn't listening. My mind was racing as fast as my heart. Every time he takes off his tie when it is just him and I, it never ends well.

I reached outside soon enough. It was pouring down rain. Unfortunate enough for me, I had to walk home through this. The sky was a navy blue with dark gray clouds crying upon the city of Vienna.

After a little while, I spotted something strange. A yellow American Goldfinch. I think it was trying to catch my attention, which it most certainly did. Such a small bird flying in the rain.

Once it realized I was making my way over to it, it began to fly over to the docks. "What ever are you trying to show me, little golden bird?" I asked aloud.

I stepped onto the dock and easily noticed the wood was slippery. The bird veered around a small building and I followed, only for the bird to be gone. Had I just imagined it? I looked up at the sky. I saw no stars, no old white little specks of light. The big crying clouds overruled the tiny cheerful stars. Had the stars felt offended by this? Or rather were they comforting the clouds?

I sighed. The rain pitter-pattered on the wood like rats thumping in an attic.

Dismally, I turned back around and began to walk away. Only a few steps ahead, I fell back on the hard wooden planks and I myself fell into an inexplicable darkness.