Chapter 2: The meeting of Shadow and Woe

Midday; the grounds of Nevermore academy.

After leaving Principal Weems office, and having seen Rowan in the flesh, Wednesday went to Dr. Kinbotts office for her required therapy session. Upon returning to Nevermore Academy, she finds her roommate Enid and a few others painting a canoe.

"Ladies, come on! Let's work on those teeth. More scowl. This kitty is taking no prisoners. If Bianca Barclay wins again this year, I will literally scratch my own eyes out!" Enid said. "I would pay money to see that." Wednesday spoke up. Enid turned around and hopped over to greet Wednesday. "Howdy, roomie! I'm so glad you decided to stay." "I thought you wanted your single room back?" Wednesday asked. "Full disclosure, I don't like living solo and Thing gives a killer neck massage. It's a win-win." Enid states, then asks: "So... why the change of heart?" "I refuse to play the role of a pawn in someone else's corrupt game." "You mean Rowan?" Enid asks incredulously. "I witnessed his murder, Enid." Wednesday insists. "It's just, we all saw him this morning. Very much, like, not dead." Enid argues, skeptical of what Wednesday is telling her. "I know. Which leads me to believe I've been losing my mind. It's not nearly as fun as I had anticipated." Wednesday says, sounding disappointed.

"You're Nevermores gossip queen. What's Rowan's story?" "Other than being a weird loner... Uh... No offense." Enid says. "None taken." Wednesday responds before Enid continues. "Xavier Thorpe's his roommate. If you had a cell phone, you could just text him and ask him." She turns around, back to one of the people painting the canoe. "Yoko. Come on! Flare those whiskers. The Poe Cup droops for no one." "What is the Poe Cup anyway?" Wednesday asks. "My entire reason for living right now." Enid states dramatically. "Part canoe race, part foot chase, no rules. Each dorm has to pick an Edgar Allan Poe short story for inspiration. You could grab a brush. Ms. Thornhill's just ordered pizza. Want to take a stab at being social?" Enid asks, hoping Wednesday will join her. "I do like stabbing." Wednesday says. "The social part, not so much. Besides, it'll cut into my writing time." "No worries." Enid says cheerfully. "Just as long as you're lakeside cheering us to victory on race day." there's an uncomfortable pause where Wednesday just glares at her. "Or you can just glare uncomfortably. Whatever works for you."

That night; Wednesday and Enid's room.

Wednesday sits writing at her typewriter, where she then removes the page she was writing and crumples it, for Thing to then kick it in the trash can. She picks up the torn out page that Rowan showed her, noticing a faded stamp in the top right hand corner. All the while thinking to herself: I've always hated the expression "write what you know." It's a hall pass for the imagination-impaired. But when your life becomes a twisted mystery... maybe it's time to lean into it.

The next morning; Principal Weems office.

Wednesday enters Principal Weems' office abruptly saying: "I need to speak with Rowan. I can't find him." Principal Weems, at work on her computer responds; "It won't be possible, I'm afraid. He's been expelled." "For what?" Wednesday asks. "Never you mind. He'll be on the first train out this afternoon." Principal Weems looks up at Wednesday. "What were you doing out in the woods with him?" "I told you already. I heard a noise, and I went to investigate." Wednesday responds somewhat defensively. Principal Weems scoffs, then speaks up. "That excuse might have placated the sheriff, but you can't fool me." A pregnant pause fills the air. "You had a psychic vision, didn't you?" Wednesday shows no outward reaction. Principal Weems continued."I realized you might be having them when we passed by the accident and you knew that poor farmer had broken his neck. Your mother started having visions around your age. They were notoriously unreliable and dangerous. I remember at first, she thought she might be losing her mind. Have you spoken to her about them?" Wednesday's silence is the only answer needed. "Clearly the person withholding information here is you."