8

Alina

"Why is that human here?"

"You don't know? She's Alpha Nikolai's mate."

"Well, it's not as though they're actually mated-"

The soft voices floated in and out of earshot as I sat quietly with my hands in my lap. The low murmuring filled the space around me along with the slight rustling of papers coming from Nikolai who read through documents right by my side.

Following Silas and Alexander eventually led us to a large conference room filled with other young supernaturals. It would seem that each clan selected a representative to discuss important matters within the community. It was a council of sorts, which was strangely a lot of responsibility for highschool kids.

As soon as I walked in with Nikolai all eyes were on us. Previous conversations immediately ceased and the focus turned to analyzing every action we took. I could hear every bit of how Nikolai's quiet disposition meant he was displeased with me and how I was a manipulative human that despised supernaturals.

He obviously heard it too because his eyes narrowed in the direction of the whispers until I could no longer hear them. Maybe it was to keep Nik distracted from killing someone, but as soon as we were seated Silas quickly handed Nikolai an agenda and other important documents to look over. I didn't even get a chance to glance in his direction before he bowed his head to me and apologized for not preparing additional papers for me as well.

I quickly moved to reassure him but now that I'm stuck with my thoughts, it is a little weird. It's not as though we live in modern times where you could instantly print the documents but he seems stuck in the Stone Age or something. It's not like it really mattered in the end, I'm clueless about the issues going on with supernaturals.

So here I sit just waiting for this stupid meeting to be over.

Maybe I shouldn't have come.

I couldn't help the thought as I stared blankly out the window. I could make out the whispers about me getting louder again with Nikolai distracted. It didn't surprise me that I was a topic of gossip, but did they have to talk about me directly in front of my face?

I let my eyes wander around the room, eventually landing on an empty seat with a blank placeholder card right in front of it. I leaned towards Nik to whisper, "Who's supposed to sit there?"

"Shifter." He responded in a dull tone as his eyes continued scanning the document in front of him. My lips pulled into a frown. He could've at least given me more than a word, though he did answer my question so I guess that's a plus.

"Sorry I'm late everyone!" A familiar voice spoke rapidly as the doors burst open. I looked up to see Lavinia red in the face.

My brows furrowed. Why would Lavinia be here?

Rather than share my confusion, Silas simply nodded, "Wonderful. You can take a seat next to the Luna and we can get started."

If Lavinia was surprised to see me here, she certainly didn't show it. Instead, she offered me a tight smile and spoke with a slightly strained voice. "H-Hey Alina."

"What are yo-"

"We use proper titles for official meetings. Do not look down on my mate." Nikolai practically spat the words out her as he cut off my question. My head whipped towards him as I turned, narrowing my eyes.

"She's a friend, it's fine." I practically whispered the words to him as I could feel eyes from all over the room burn a hole into me.

A sarcastic smirk slid onto Nik's face. That was an expression I hadn't seen before. "I didn't realize you were on such friendly terms with the witches."