17

Alina

There's a certain anxiety to be had when you know something bad is going to happen soon. A bubbling in your stomach, excessive sweating, your mind racing with thoughts, heart pounding at every horrible outcome it conjures — I could feel it all happening to me at this very moment.

We decided to meet my father on neutral grounds, but still stay close enough to the pack so that in the case anything were to go wrong, help was not too far away. So, I sat on a bench in the park that I took Juno to weeks before with Jaxson as Lev and Nikolai watched from a distance and I'm not sure how many other wolves waited in the edge of the woods.

It really was a beautiful morning, one that was wasted on an occasion like this. It was one of those days in the fall where the weather struck a nice balance of shining sun and cool fall breeze without one overpowering the other. The park wasn't especially busy, but there were enough bystanders around in case something happened.

Jaxson hadn't spoken a word since confirming that he told our father where to meet us. Tora, that sly cat, also had yet to make an appearance, though I was partially grateful for that. With the atmosphere already tense, I don't want to imagine how his mouth would make it worse.

My eyes locked onto Nikolai, who seemed to become alert at the sight of a man walking into the park. He wasn't dressed outstandingly, or like the hunter that I had seen before when I saved Lev. Instead, he wore a white Polo shirt with dark blue jeans. A golden watch on one arm and chains around his neck, the man had a few tattoos along his thick arms and he was heading our way.

"Dad!" Jaxson stood up, calling out to the man as I froze.

Dad?

He looked nothing like my father, or at least not the one I remember. My memory of my father was hazy but I remember that he didn't have a beard, he definitely didn't have any tattoos, he was always clean shaven, curly hair kept short. He was also thin with practically no muscles to speak of, but the man in front of me was built like a professional bodybuilder.

I stood up as well, turning to face Nikolai's direction. Maybe it was the look on my face that exposed my wavering resolve but he spoke quietly to Lev before starting to walk in my direction, though Lev quickly stopped him.

"Jinx?"

I shut my eyes. His voice didn't change in the least, and neither did the use of the nickname that I slowly grew to resent in his absence. Gathering my wits, I turned to face my father.

His face broke out into a grin, arms reaching forward to pull me into an embrace, "Alina!"

I quickly backed away, "I don't really feel comfortable with you touching me, sorry." Dad's face crumpled at my words as he cleared his throat.

"Right. I'm sorry. Camila called me, she's been looking for you everywhere." He offered the information as if it was supposed to mean anything to me and I scoffed at his words.

"I'm not going back." I bristled at the mention of my mother and my dad sighed.

"Is it because of the wolves? We can take care of that-"

"There's nothing to take care of." I glared at him, "I'm with my mate because I want to be, not because I was forced to."

That's right. Ever since I met them, save for the rocky beginning we had, the Lev and Nikolai have been nothing but caring and accepting towards me. Hell, I even tore up Nikolai's room in a fury but he still didn't flee in fear.

He gets me.

He's probably the only one in the world that can accept me for who, and maybe even what, I am.