j. storm + puppy meet cute

"will you just—?"

"no."

your eyes practically glow with anger when you hear the metallic click of your puppy being unleashed, your heart thudding with the same rapid rhythm of your dog bounding across the pavement towards johnny storm. "go talk to him," wanda demands.

your fists curl around the edge of the table. "you're a bad friend."

readjusting your clothes, you rush to his table, wincing when you see your dog nipping at his pant legs.

perhaps this is a bad dream. after all, you must be delusional to think you've really caught the eye of a superhero, two tables away, over wanda's shoulder. three times in the past forty five minutes, not that you were counting.

"hey," he says with undeserved politeness, nodding at the dachshund mix pawing his shin.

"hi."

"i take it this thing is yours."

you dive for the ground, missing her hyperactive little body at first. "jello, c'mere, honey." clutching her to your chest, you shush her yipping. "i'm sorry, it was an accident. i'm a big fan. thank you for your... service, mr. storm."

"johnny."

"johnny," you repeat.

"...jello?" he asks.

you narrowly catch her when she tries squirming out of your arms. "'cause she's wiggly."

"don't worry about it." he shakes his head, grinning. "i like getting attention from cute girls."

a dream, you remind yourself. he's talking about the dog. maybe she'll bite you and you'll suddenly wake up at home.

carefully crafted insults for wanda are already manifesting in your mind as you turn from him with a strangled, "sorry again, bye!"

"wait." you snarl at a smirking wanda before spinning to face him again. "you're not even gonna tell me your name?"

you stutter your name as jello gnaws at your fingertips. not a dream, apparently.

"nice to meet you both." his look softens. "could i get your number, too? or is that—"

"oh." oh my god. "yes. i would... yes."

as he searches for his phone in his jacket pockets, you distantly realize that those ten digits have fluttered away like a startled bird. you couldn't recite them if you tried, not when he's looking at you like this, confident and kind. you're pretty sure it starts with a two?

"here." you fiddle with jello's collar until you find her metal tag, neatly stamped with your contact information, and hold it out to him while she fidgets.

johnny chuckles warmly, typing it in. "we could meet up here again sometime. for lunch. you can bring her."

"um, okay." you smile back, scratching your puppy's soft fur. "we would like that."