Chapter Nine

Jimin passed the chief of the night in his brother's room, and in the morning had the pleasure of being able to send a tolerable answer to the inquiries which he very early received from Jungkook by a housemaid, and some time afterwards from the t...

Jimin passed the chief of the night in his brother's room, and in the morning had the pleasure of being able to send a tolerable answer to the inquiries which he very early received from Jungkook by a housemaid, and some time afterwards from the two elegant ladies who waited on his sisters. In spite of this amendment, however, he requested to have a note sent to Longbourn, desiring his mother to visit Taehyung, and form her own judgement of his situation. The note was immediately dispatched, and its contents as quickly complied with. Mrs. Park, accompanied by her two youngest girls, reached Netherfield soon after the family breakfast.

Had she found Taehyung in any apparent danger, Mrs. Park would have been very miserable; but being satisfied on seeing him that his illness was not alarming, she had no wish of him recovering immediately, as his restoration to health would probably remove him from Netherfield. She would not listen, therefore, to her son's proposal of being carried home; neither did the apothecary, who arrived about the same time, think it at all advisable. After sitting a little while with Taehyung, on Miss Jeon's appearance and invitation, the mother, two daughters, and Jimin all attended her into the breakfast parlour. Jungkook met them with hopes that Mrs. Park had not found Taehyung worse than she expected.

"Indeed I have, sir," was her answer. "He is a great deal too ill to be moved. Mr. Song says we must not think of moving him. We must trespass a little longer on your kindness."

"Removed!" cried Jungkook. "It must not be thought of. My sister, I am sure, will not hear of his removal."

"You may depend upon it, Madam," said Miss Jeon, with cold civility, "that your son will receive every possible attention while he remains with us."

Mrs. Park was profuse in her acknowledgments.

"I am sure," she added, "if it was not for such good friends I do not know what would become of him, for he is very ill indeed, and suffers a vast deal, though with the greatest patience in the world, which is always the way with him, for he has, without exception, the sweetest temper I have ever met with. I often tell my other children they are nothing to HIM. You have a sweet room here, Jungkook, and a charming prospect over the gravel walk. I do not know a place in the country that is equal to Netherfield. You will not think of quitting it in a hurry, I hope, though you have but a short lease."

"Whatever I do is done in a hurry," replied he; "and therefore if I should resolve to quit Netherfield, I should probably be off in five minutes. At present, however, I consider myself as quite fixed here."

"That is exactly what I should have supposed of you," said Jimin.

"You begin to comprehend me, do you?" cried he, turning towards him.

"Oh! yes--I understand you perfectly."

"I wish I might take this for a compliment; but to be so easily seen through I am afraid is pitiful."

"That is as it happens. It does not follow that a deep, intricate character is more or less estimable than such a one as yours."

"Jiminie," cried his mother, "remember where you are, and do not run on in the wild manner that you are suffered to do at home."