chapter fifty four

Tw. implications of self-harm, gore.

Her head feels a thousand miles away from her when she awakes the next morning, her body pushed against the warmth of her cousins, legs tangled together on the makeshift bed they slapped together late the night prior. Winnie was acutely aware of her shoulder being pushed gentle, though a groan left her lips as she squinted her eyes. Nose disappearing in under the scratchy blanket.

"Winnie, we have to leave," Cordelia whispers gently, though her voice ricochets through Winnie's ears and she grumbles once more. Heaving a heavy sigh before blinking open her eyes, thankful that despite the bounding in her skull, her eyes adjust to the dim light slowly. Cordelia sits upon her elbow beside her, red hair tousled into a bun on the nape of her neck, azure eyes staring down at her as the female tilted her lips into a smile. "I knew the whiskey would work," an air of pride leaves with her words which causes Winnie to roll her eyes, forcing herself up into a sitting position.

'Why are you so chipper right now? Also we don't have classes, it's a Saturday. So technically we don't have to leave at all," Winnie drawled, dragging the blankets up around her as she leaned against the foot of the couch.

Memories of last night came back in flashes, leaving a discomfort grow in her chest as she twisted her silver ring. Truthfully, the memory of Theo burned more violently than the rest. The emptiness he left in her heart cut her deeper than any words could ever do, he toyed with her like a plaything and Winnie had very little control over his head.

He wanted her to hate him, and she did. No matter how much her heart ached for him, her stomach and mind could not help but to hate him for every word he ever uttered towards her. He left her alone with no reasoning, leaving her scrambling after the pieces of her heart while he walked freely.

His actions left a catalyst effect on her last night. When Winnie had finally managed to pick herself back up in the bathroom, she drowned herself in whiskey and danced until her feet felt like needles and pins every time she moved. Winnie had spent the majority of the night by Harry, who had taken it upon himself to make sure she didn't do anything stupid she would regret in the morning. ( Like kiss a total stranger, which she had almost done a little after he sixth drink. )

Though the blonde did shake him for awhile, her hands intertwined with Lavender as the twi swirled around in circles with heaps of hiccuped laughter. The two separated when Ron came looking for his girlfriend, the freckled boy giving Winnie a huge bear hug in the moment, which would usually end in Winnie pushing him off, but for once, she hugged him back just as tightly,

Winnie went back to searching for her best friend after that, finding the raven haired boy in a corner speaking quietly to Cordelia.  Harry Potter has a tell that not many would see, but Winnie Buldstrode has spent many days and hours with the chosen boy as of late. She knows when he scrunches up his nose, he is lost in his own confused thoughts. When Harry finds something particular funny but he does not want to laugh, he puts his fist to his mouth and stares blankly downwards, as if that will hide the grin twisting his lips, and when he is nervous or upset, he twists the sleeves of his flannel shirt that he has chosen to wear that day.

Winnie does not miss the beat of that action now, nor does she miss the way Cordelia side steps him, leaving him alone with his lonely eyes following after her.

It was an excruciating sight, only she remembers well from her own face staring back at her in the mirror. Winnie almost completely forgot about that moment until now, with her eyes staring at the fire in front of them from the Room of Requirement. Winnie twists her vision to Cordelia, who has gotten up from their makeshift bed, changing into clothes she must've grabbed before the party. Her teeth sinks into the side of her cheek, chewing on the gums as she stares at her cousin. A feeling of grief and frustration mixing together in her chest, her cheeks flush as Cordelia pauses. Blue jeans left unbuttoned as the redhead raises an eyebrow at Winnie.