chapter one

chapter one - "the nights are drawn out long"
---

she could hear her father yelling downstairs, his current girlfriend must have done something wrong. el felt horrible for thinking it, but she was glad his girlfriend was getting yelled at. at least its not her sister.

sarah was spending the night at her friend's house, el was thankful that mrs. johnson let sarah come over all the time.

she put her headphones in and turned up the song. piledriver waltz. the arctic monkeys were her comfort band.

she rolled over to face her wall, she could briefly hear glass shattering downstairs. she winced and pulled the covers over her. it was only 7pm and she hadn't eaten anything, but the sooner she was unconscious, the sooner she could go to school.

she wasn't very popular. in fact she scared most people away-except for, of course, her best friend, max.

she changed the song to something louder. she tried to not be affected by things she couldn't control, but she felt like she could do more. she was drowning in guilt. no matter how hard she tried in felt like everything thats happened was her fault. summer depression-girlinred. what a fitting song.

she clammed her eyes shut and finally fell into a peaceful, but all too short, sleep.

-

"get up, you're already late" she woke up to the grumbled, hungover voice of her 'father'.

she curled her knees to her stomach at the realization that she had to get up and live life. she got out of bed and closed her door, hoping her dad would be too busy drinking away his hangover to come bother her.

she put on an outfit she usually wore, black jeans, black tank top, black jacket, her dirty converse from 7th grade and some rings. she switched it up by putting on her mothers old necklace. she put on her eyeliner and smudged it around her eyes and topped it with mascara. she ruffled her hair and walked out of her room with her bag.

she avoided her dad and started walking to school. she checked her phone and saw she was already 20 minutes late. she walked a little faster hoping she could go under the radar today.

-

3rd period was over after what felt like hours. she was standing by her locker, pretending to be grabbing books to avoid going to lunch. that was until none other than mike fucking wheeler started walking in her direction. she quickly threw in her headphones and shuffled her playlist. drunk drivers/killer whales-car seat headrest, if kids at school made those videos and asked what she was listening to, she would be embarrassed.

she didn't have time to think about that though because soon the devil himself was tapping on her shoulder. she huffed and slammed her locker shut and whipped around to make eye contact. she could've sworn she'd seen the flames of hell in his eyes.

he stared at her for a moment before taking her headphones out

"what do you want?" she snapped.

his eyes widened, "i just wanted to ask if you wanted to come over later. i know you dont like me but max made me ask you".

he seemed almost nervous asking her. it made her smirk, "yeah, sure".