THREE.

"Wait, so what you're telling me is there's a guy, around our age that lives right next good to you?" Noah asked.

I set my towel down on one of his lawn chairs and slid out of my shorts. Then I traveled to the edge of the pool, sitting down and dipping my feet in the cold water. "Yeah. He's only staying for the summer. Mr. Gregg is his uncle."

Noah twisted his eyebrows in confusion. "What? How is that even possible? Wouldn't we have known him a long time ago?"

"That's what I'm saying.Maybe he just started coming around. Who knows?"

I watched Noah dive into the deep end of the pool. When he comes back up he wipes the water from his face and says, "Maybe. Do you know his name yet?"

"Justin."

He swam in my direction and pulled himself out of the water, sitting next to me. "Does he look friendly? Like the type that would want to hang out of we asked?"

I swayed my feet in the water and brought my shoulders up, letting them drop again. "I don't know. I mean we've only had like one conversation."

I did want to get to know Justin a lot more. And not just because he was probably the cutest guy I've ever met. Okay, maybe that was a major reason but he seemed odd, mysterious, much different from any guy who lives in this town. He was interesting and when he sat only inches away from me in my house earlier in the day I fought the urge to scoot closer to him, closing the huge gap that was between us, and kiss him. I know I shouldn't be thinking such thoughts about a guy I barely know but I couldn't help it. I've never had a guy who looked that good next to me before. Any normal teenage girl would have wanted to do the same thing.

"Noah, Lacey, the burgers are finished." Noah's step mom called. Noah wasted no time in getting up, leaving me to follow directly after him.

•••

I spent the next four hours at Noah's before I realized it was nearing eleven o'clock. It's just that his family was always so nice and they made sure you had a good time while you were in their home. I lost track of time every time I was there.

I said my final goodbyes to the family and used my damp towel as a jacket because I didn't bring a shirt and it had gotten so much cooler since earlier. My sandals hit the heel of my foot with every step I took on the smooth side walk. I took big steps and clutched my towel in my hands when a gush of wind surfed past me. When I place my hand on the cold metal that snapped my gate open and close, I heard noises coming from the back of my house. So I stepped aside and looked down the length of my house but didn't see anything.

Thunk! Thunk!

The noises continued and each time they came, I realized that it wasn't my house it was coming from, but Mr. Gregg's.

I pushed the towel up on my shoulders when it began to fall and made it my business to walk through my backyard to see what it was. The gate that seperate my house from Mr. Gregg's was short which left us no privacy at all so I'd he able to see just fine. I know it probably wasn't a smart idea for a half dressed teen girl to be checking out sounds at such a late time but if I didn't I wouldn't be able to sleep from the curiosity that would course through my mind late that night.

As I neared the back of the house, I saw Justin before he saw me. He had an axe in his hand cutting away at one of the small trees in Mr. Gregg's backyard. The light that was coming from the back patio illuminated half of Justin's shirtless body. Sweat traveled from his tatted collarbone down to his v-line. If his shorts and briefs hung any longer, he'd be fully exposed to the whole world.