23

a/n: not a two-sentence story. gave me chills though. give this one a read and comment your thoughts below.

÷÷÷

{23: Except Me}

Laying in the dark, eyes open, staring at the ceiling, scared to scan the room. You grab the blanket and pull it up to your chin, your mind racing with all the horrors that could be hiding just out of your sight. You were taught from a very young age, that there is nothing there in the dark, that isn't there in the light. You tell yourself these words over and over again like a mantra.

There is nothing there in the dark, that isn't there in the light.

You can hear the door creak open slowly, it echoes in your ears breaking the silence of the night.

There is nothing there in the dark, that isn't there in the light.

You hear the heavy steps, make their way towards you, you keep your eyes fixed on the ceiling. Too scared to look at what may be approaching.

There is nothing there in the dark, that isn't there in the light.

You hear the deep breaths, and your brain runs wild with images of needle-pointed teeth bared. Claws messed with gore, and eyes wild with eternal hunger.

There is nothing in the dark, that isn't there in the light.

You finally gather the courage to sit up in your bed and look into the eyes of the monster now bearing down on you....

Only to see nothing there, the door, the steps, the breath. It was all in your head just like you thought. You breathe a sigh of relief and say your mantra out loud one last time.

"There is nothing there in the dark, that isn't there in the light."

Then you hear the response...from under your bed.

"Except me."