Small Favors

Y/n has yet another sleepless night. Most times, they were brought on by bullies or bad marks but this time was the worst.

She hadn't stopped crying the entire night, effectively keeping her awake.

Now, she was standing in the bathroom in front of the mirror, preparing for the day ahead of her. Her body longed for sleep, but she couldn't give in.

So instead, she cast a simple glamour charm and plastered on a fake smile all the way to her first class of the day.

But there was something about her spirit, that couldn't be hidden behind any charm. It was the very thing that James Potter spotted every time he saw her that day.

No one else around her seemed to notice her fake smiles. No one else noticed how her words held no emotion every time she was forced to speak in class.

But James did. James always noticed.

Despite popular belief, James is very observant. That is when he's not with his friend's or talking period. In those quiet moments, he pays attention to the small details around him.

He would often find himself looking over at the Y/H/C girl to see what she was doing. Or to see what emotions he could spot based on how she spoke and acted.

The thought occurred to him, that she was the only one his mind drifted to in class. The only particular person that is. Sirius, Remus and Lily always occupied his thoughts. But that's completely normal for best friends. Isn't it?

James thinks so. That's the same reason he shrugs off thinking about Y/n so much. She's a good friend of his and he thinks about her. Nothing odd about that, right?

Over the course of time he had been keeping an eye on her, be noticed she was sad most days. Every now and then she would have a really good day and be happy when James saw her.

But this day was the most sad he's ever seen her.

Most people might think she looks the same as always, but James' trained eye spotted the subtle sadness that was plaguing her mind.

By lunch, he had enough. They had all but one class together, so by now he's watched her drowning in her sorrows for 3 class periods.

After arriving in the Great Hall, James scanned the room for the Y/H/C girl, but she was nowhere to be seen.

Making a quick decision, James exited the Great Hall and started to walk the empty corridor's of the castle in search of the girl.

His search lasted only ten minutes, because he found her alone at the end of one of the dark corridors near the Slytherin common room.

James internally debated approaching the girl. He bit his lip lightly before walking towards her. As he did so, he started to feel better about his decision.