Chapter 11

Hotch's POV:

It has been just over 2 weeks since we found Y/N and even though she was alive, she still hasn't woken up. The doctors had said it would only take a few days but we were definitely past that point, the doctors couldn't find a medical reason why she hadn't woken up and everyone was losing hope. The only hope I had was the warmth of her skin. I have hardly let go of her hand or left her side since she got out of surgery because I was scared that if I left, even for 2 seconds, I would miss her waking up.

Jack sat at the end of the bed using Y/N legs as hills, something that Y/N would always let him do when he woke up earlier than the both of us and was pestering us to get up and play. He stopped suddenly and looked at me with a sad look on his face, "When is Mommy going to wake up?" My breath hitched in my throat as I stared at my son, struggling to comprehend what he just said. What he had called Y/N. He had never called her that before and I had no idea that he had begun to look at Y/N as his mother.

"Soon, hopefully soon," he nodded at my response and looked at Y/N, "Do you want to start calling her 'Mom'?"

"Yeah, but I'm scared she won't like me calling her that." his gaze moved to the cars in his hand, avoiding looking at her or me.

"Buddy, I'm sure if you asked her she would love it."

"Really?" he exclaimed happily, his eyes finally meeting mine.

"Of course." Jack's mood visibly lifted and the smile returned to his face as he continued playing with his cars. I looked at Y/N's unconscious figure, my eyes stopping at her face. She looked peaceful which scared and comforted me. Many people look peaceful when they die or are dying, but she didn't look uncomfortable or in pain. I just wanted to see her eyes.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

I recognised Aaron's touch around my hand. I don't know how but it felt like a certain familiarity. I could also feel something rolling on my legs. I couldn't be sure but it felt like maybe a few days had passed and the smell of the room I was in cemented in my mind that I was still in hospital. I focused all my energy to my eyes and sure enough they opened. I was met with sight of Jack using my legs as hills, just as he would every morning I stayed over. "Hey Jack-Jack." Both Aaron and Jack's heads snapped towards me.

"Y/N! You're awake!" Jack yelled, alerting the nurses outside, and he jumped on me, wrapping me in a tight hug.

"Careful Bud," he loosened his grip a tiny bit at my words and I laughed, "My goodness, you have gotten a lot stronger in just a few days!"

"16 days." My eyes met Aaron's. That was the first time he had spoken.

"What?"

"You've been unconscious for 16 days." A small tear ran down his cheek as he looked into my eyes. No, surely it hasn't been that long.

Jack let go of me and sat back by my feet as Aaron stood, his hands moving to cup my face. We stayed still for a few seconds just looking at each other, me trying to come to terms with how long I had been asleep and Aaron pushing back tears. Finally, his lips came crashing onto mine and I felt like I was a hundred percent going to be okay for the first time since before Michael took me. Aaron pulled back and rested his forehead on mine. "He's dead?" Aaron just nodded and within seconds, I was crying. The man who had haunted me since I was 16 was dead and I could finally live my life without having to constantly look over my shoulder.

Aaron moved away from me so the nurses could check me out, a doctor entering the room soon after. They began to run multiple tests, which, after a further 3 hours, all confirmed I could go home the next day. "She will need to stay with someone just incase something happens suddenly but other than that, she is good to go anytime tomorrow."

"Yay!" Jack said, jumping to his feet and hugging the doctor. Aaron and I laughed and apologised to him. I don't know when but Aaron had managed to alert the team that I had woken up, and soon enough, the fast paced clicking of heels told me that Penelope was making a stream line to my room, the team most likely in tow.

She burst through the door, full of excitement, and she immediately started crying when she saw me. "Oh thank all things good," she rushed over to me, kissing my cheek and hugging me, "I thought we were going to lose you!" She then proceeded to pull back, hit my arm softly, and point at me saying "Don't you do that again!"

"What? Get kidnapped by a sadist who has stalked me my entire life?"

She gave me a stern look before saying, "No, nearly dying silly." She kissed me on the cheek one more time as I laughed at her. 

"Baby girl, move so I can have my turn." Morgan piped up.

"Wait your turn Chocolate Thunder."

"I have." He then grabbed her by her shoulders and moved her to the side before turning and hugging me tightly. "How are you feeling Princess?"

"Like I'm ready to go home." The team laughed and Morgan kissed my forehead. The rest of the team came up and hugged me, one by one. It was nice when we had these moments. Not just ones where everyone was reuniting in a hospital after someone was injured, but the ones in the break room when we had what others would call sibling banter, or dinners at Rossi's mansion where we all talked about our favourite memories over pasta, and even on the jet on our way back from a case with everyone sleeping on each other. I had lost and moved away from whatever family I had in Australia, but I had found a new one within the team.

For the first time since I was nine years old, I felt like I belonged in the family I had.