Chapter Ten

"Whoa!"

Conrad spun on his heels, his sandwich nearly going airborne as he flung his arms out for balance.

"Stupid, dumbass rodent." But he laughed, Texas two-stepping past the squirrel that'd pulled the dash-and-park-it right before his toes.

Said squirrel, oblivious to any aspersions cast upon its rodenthood, reared up on its hind legs, flicking its tail like a bushy question mark. Its glassy black gaze was fixed on the sandwich.

Eyes on the prize, so to speak.

Ok, maybe not so stupid after all.

"Nice try, buddy. But I'm not one to be so easily tripped up."

Conrad made a show of crinkling the takeout wrapper as he raised the maple bacon BLT in mock salute and resumed walking.

Mature oaks, maples, and elms lined both sides of the lane he followed. Autumn had gotten a late start this year he'd been told, and for that, he was grateful. The fall foliage of the trees was breathtaking. Their elegant limbs sleeved in fiery hues of red, bronze, and gold. The ground beneath was carpeted by an autumnal potpourri of freshly fallen leaves.

 The ground beneath was carpeted by an autumnal potpourri of freshly fallen leaves

Man, there were squirrels scurrying everywhere on this property.

Conrad took another bite of the bagel and chewed with a smile.

Was the Temple woman with her cute curls doing any scurrying of her own this fine day –back to wherever she came from, that is?