Chapter 3

It took almost a week to get used to the schedule at the Turner's house. Sarah and I fell into a daily rhythm, though, and we were usually done with the morning chores by seven or eight in the morning. Sherry sometimes had a few extra things that she needed help with in the house which would push us out to nine.

I hadn't left the farm in almost a week. I saw what Sarah was talking about with her family. Everything worked like a well-oiled machine. Jeff and Josh would stay out repairing things on the property, counting heads of cattle, checking the operations of the three chicken houses that they operated one ridge over, on the backside of the property. Sherry ran the house, with Sarah's (and now my) help. And Sarah would usually keep the animals around the house fed. Certain days consisted of certain tasks. Every job around the property was considered just as important as the next. Every person was respected.

I butted heads a few more times with Jeff over small things, but it didn't result in me losing my meals or shoveling animal excrements again, so I couldn't complain much.

It was a late Saturday morning. Sarah and I had just finished with our morning chores and were washing our hands at the spigot by the back door. "I'm going into town to do some shopping." She shook the water from her hands. "You're more than welcome to go with me, if you want to."

I hadn't seen anything outside of the farm in a week. A scenery change sounded nice. "Sure." I said with a shrug.

"We need to get you some outfits for church, anyway." She added and I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "And I need to drop off some eggs at Carol's. She called Momma this morning and said she was out." Sarah sold the extra eggs for spending money.

"Momma!" She called as we came into the kitchen. I took a deep breath of the cool air and savored the feeling of the breeze from the box fan in the floor.

Sherry came out of the back hallway, wiping her hands on a rag. "Y'all done for the day?"

Sarah nodded. "Yes ma'am. I think we're going to head into town for a little while. I need to drop off some eggs. We're gonna swing by the Mission Thrift and see if they have anything for Julie to wear to church."

She smiled. "I've got a few things that I've been meaning to drop off, but I keep forgetting to grab them. Let me get them and a list of things I need from the store."

"We're gonna head up and freshen up. We'll grab them in a little while."

I followed Sarah upstairs to her bedroom. She pulled a clean change of clothes from the dresser. "I'm going to get a quick shower."

I pulled out my last clean pair of jeans that hadn't been confiscated and scowled at the thought of spending anymore time in long pants out in the sticky heat.

"It's too hot out there to be wearing jeans." She said, tying her hair up in a messy knot. "Grab some shorts out of my dresser. We're close enough to the same size, surely I have a pair that you can wear."

"Thanks" I said with a smile.

I pulled out a pair of well worn and faded cut off shorts and one of my looser fitted black tank-tops. I looked in the large mirror on Sarah's dresser. I hadn't bothered even asking for a straightener since I had been there and the curly hair gene that I had picked up from my dad was rearing its untamable head. I pulled my hair up into a messy pile of curls on top of my head and pinned it down with a few of Sarah's bobby pins. I cursed at the few sprigs that weren't doing what I wanted them to.

"I'd kill to have curls like yours." Sarah chuckled, walking through the doorway with a towel wrapped around herself. "Shower's open."

I pulled my towel down from the hook on the back of her door and made my way into the bathroom across the hall to rinse the sweat and grime off.