~Chapter 3: Madam Rue~

See Marilyn and Fatima come from a long bloodline of gangsters. The biggest being their grandma. Madam also known as Ruth Ann came from a family of tobacco farmers in Georgia. It took Ruth one day on the field to realize it was not for her. Unfortunately school didn't matter that much. Especially if you were a girl. Being at the age were widowed and all type of men come knocking asking for marriage; she knew she had to make a move quick. Every Saturday after she got her money from helping mama tend house for this white lady she went to the local hole in the wall. And everyday she sat and waited for opportunity to knock. This time she took matters in her own hands.

She walked in this one Saturday night and there he was Slick. They call him Slick cause he wore his hair slicked back like an oil spill. A gangster who also ran numbers, fixed fights and tried to manage blues acts. Everything about who he was and what he had got Ruth's attention. "2 for Slick" the bartender said to the waitress. "Wait, wait let me take them" Ruth said to the barmaid. "Ruth Ann I ain't got the time for you today." She says trying to get the tray away from her. "No trouble from me today I promise. Just let me take it." She begs. "Fine! Fine!" She says letting the tray go. Ruth gets herself together before walking to the table. "Here you go, this one is on me." She says as she places the glass on the table. He looks up at her and smiles. "Ain't nothing in life free. Even air costs. So what this gon cost me?" He asks as they lock eyes. "A conversation that's all." He thinks for a second before signaling her to sit.

He finishes rolling his cigarette and attempts to light it while asking "What can I do for you?" Ruth takes the cigarette from his pursed lips and lights it. "More like what can I do for you." She take a hit before returning it to him. He looks at his crew and chuckles before saying "million dollar question ain't it?"

She makes herself more comfortable. "Look, I know the business you in. I also know two of your trucks got hit by the police last week." She leans closer into him. "I can help with that." He leans back in his seat as he signals for her to continue. "See y'all made yourselves easy targets coming down here with the hair and the clothes. Just screams gangster. But see me" she says as she highlights her look "I just look like a girl going back and forth for school or work. Wouldn't even suspect it." She picks up one of the drinks "Plus I know these roads like the back of my hand. Too easy for me to get past."

Slick is intrigued "I ain't ever met a lady like you before." He said impressed by her. "Don't think you ever will." She says and they all laugh. "So what they call you little lady?" Before she could respond there was a commotion in the background. "Listen and listen good Nigga! You come back round here being aggressive with my girls and I'll cut ya dick off!" May the madam of the house says as she drags out a drunk patron. May was thee most respected and feared round those parts. Even the sheriff treads lightly when it comes to May. Ruth turn back around with a smile "Madam Rue" she says. "Madam Rue?" Slick chuckles "Well Madam Rue take this number." He hands her a sheet of paper. "Two weeks from now call and I should have something for ya." Ruth takes the paper and mouths thank you as she walks away.

She leaves the bar and walks a few miles down the road before she's met by a police officer. She walks up to the cop and hands him some money. "I take it your plan worked." He says as he takes the money from her hand. "Sure did. Thanks for pulling them over for me. This is the first half. Once the rest is sold I've have the other half." She says as she places her wallet back in her purse. "You are something else Ruth Ann." He says laughing. "Now remember our deal. You make sure I'm moving freely through these parts and I got you on the back end." He shakes his head in agreement. She continues to walk home with a strut of confidence now that everything is falling into place. Back at the bar the waitress gives slick the bill for those drinks that were supposedly on the house. Slick laughs realizing she duped him but admired her doing what she needed to do.