*Chapter 10*

A/N: I made it back before the year mark!!! I mean...yeah, I cut it REALLY close, but I made it!!! GO ME!!! 😁

Thanks, as always, for your saint-like patience! Here's to hoping everyone has a Happy and Prosperous New Year!!!

And now, back to the story!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Naruto watched from a shadowy storefront rooftop as the last of the Yahagi thugs noisily piled back onto their wooden watercraft. They cast off not two minutes later and disappeared in the direction they'd come in - no doubt heading back to their literal "hole-in-the-wall" hideout to regroup. Releasing a breath he had no idea he'd even been holding, he allowed himself to slouch against the rooftop barrier.

"Well that's done." he mumbled. "Now maybe I can find something to eat before I starve to death..."

"Tch, you should've eaten beforehand, loser."

Naruto openly rolled his eyes before turning and glaring at the owner of the (less-than-welcomed) voice. "No one asked you, idiot! And what the hell are you even doing up here?!"

Sasuke smirked. "Someone's gotta make sure you don't screw anything up." he sneered, folding his arms over his chest.

Naruto stared blankly at the raven-haired boy for all of three seconds before turning his back to him and pressing a finger to his ear.

"Kakashi-sensei, the Yahagi boat has shipped out of Naoji, and all fifteen Yahagi idiots were on it when it left."

"Copy that."

"Also, if you happen to be looking for the Uchiha idiot, who left his post because apparently watching a boat takes more than one person to do...don't bother. I already found him."

"...Eh?"

Sasuke very nearly growled at the blonde in front of him before pressing a finger to his own comm. "Hey, we all know this moron's track record. Someone had to make sure he didn't screw up. Again."

"Oh how very thoughtful of you. Whatever would I have done without the help that I absolutely DID NOT NEED?"

"That's enough outta both of you." Kakashi interjected flatly. "Now make your way back to the inn; we still need to be briefed on the intel Sakura acquired from her stakeout."

Naruto audibly groaned then. "Sensei, I'm literally starving. Can't I get briefed after I get some food?!"

"No can do. I want both of you back at the inn for Sakura's brief. Now."

Wilting slightly, Naruto muttered his affirmative before he and Sasuke made their way from the rooftop back to the road below.

Sasuke eyed Naruto with mild curiosity from the moment their feet reunited with the ground. Said curiosity only grew as they trudged along at an unhurried pace, the blonde seemingly in no rush to get back to the inn, much less to Sakura herself.

Something was off, of that much he was certain. But...what, exactly?

"What's your problem?" he finally asked, breaking the short spell of silence that lingered between them.

"Ain't it obvious? I'm. Starving." Naruto grumbled.

Sasuke snorted, folding his arms across his chest. "Tch...yeah but that stomach of yours never used to beat out an obvious opportunity to get Sakura's attention, empty or otherwise..."