*Chapter 7*

A/N: MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!!!

I've breached the 1k view benchmark, and that makes me so incredibly happy! Thanks so much for the support!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Kakashi sat perched in one of the many trees that lined the winding dirt roads surrounding Naoji. He'd managed to circle the entire village twice thus far, thoroughly combing the area in hopes that he'd spot (or, perhaps, even encounter) at least one person - unsavory or otherwise - but was presently having no such luck.

Hmm...s'pose I'm not altogether shocked at the lack of foot traffic. he mentally mused, running a hand over his masked chin as a thoughtful frown settled over his partially visible features. However, this lull in activity could very well prove to be foreshadowing a very violent resurgance...

- FLASHBACK -

"Kakashi...a word, if I may?"

The silver-haired jonin's gaze shifted over to the village leader as they exited the inn he and his three genin would be housed in for the duration of their mission. "Of course. Is there something wrong?"

Saizo heaved yet another sigh. "Well...I fear that there could be." he replied. "...I just remembered something that could complicate our predicament even more."

Kakashi's visible brow furrowed slightly as he turned to fully face the man. "Oh...and what would that be?"

"The Yahagi gang's last attack...it occurred exactly three weeks ago this day." Saizo explained. "On the surface, that doesn't seem like much time at all. But, when you consider the fact that the attacks had been occurring at least two to three times weekly...well that short time frame suddenly becomes a gaping span of inactivity." He took a deep breath before continuing. "I...I fear that they're using this lull in activity to get our guards to drop and our awareness to slip...all while they gear up for an attack that we likely won't be able to withstand..."

Kakashi's brow furrowed a little more as he absorbed what he'd just been told, eyes closing briefly in contemplation. "Hmm...in that case, it may behoove me to have an extra set of eyes assist in my search efforts..." he noted thoughtfully; his gaze promptly met Saizo's once more. "I'll be taking one of the genin with me as a measure to track this scum down even faster."

"Of course. Do whatever you deem necessary." Saizo replied with a bow. "I pray that your search efforts are successful...for Naoji's sake."

- END FLASHBACK -

Kakashi frowned as he stood from his perch and took inventory of his surroundings once again. If there turns out to be any truth to Saizo's theory, then it could spell disaster for the entire village. His fists clenched tightly at his sides. We need to find these bastards fast...and put an end to their little operation before they can cause anymore trouble...

"Sensei! Are ya there? Sensei!!!"

The silver-haired jonin jolted slightly at the sound of the whisper-shouting flooding into his right ear, and immediately reached for the ear piece he'd admittedly forgotten was even there. "Yes, Naruto, I'm here. What is it?"

"I think I may have found something! It's a little ways out on the northwestern side of the village! Come quick!"

A small smile tugged at the corners of Kakashi's mask-covered mouth. "Right, I'm on my way now. Stay where you are until I get there."

"Right!"

At that Kakashi took off, leaping swiftly and quietly through the trees as he hurriedly made his way toward Naruto's present location. Within about five minutes, he'd made it to the northwestern end of the village; in even less time than that, he'd found Naruto, and was simultaneously shocked and amused to find that the blonde genin was actually putting effort into being inconspicuous in his partially-concealed perch upon a branch within a group of trees that sat along the edge of a river. In one swift move, he ascended the tree and deftly planted himself beside the boy.