𝟶𝟷

Chapter One: The Calm Before.

➺

Griffin was the type that would peak in high school. And he was alright with that, he enjoyed the long sleepless nights spent on the phone with his friends rather than doing his homework, and the hours spent perfecting his lacrosse technique opposed to studying. Griffin knew what he liked; and if he ended up homeless because of it, so be it.

Maria, Luke, and Griffin were all piled into his car, a rusted Range Rover his stepdad found on Craigslist at the start of the school year. They had went cruising for the last day of fall break, and decided to camp out in the school parking lot until people started showing up.

The morning sun bounced off the windows, shinning onto Griffin's tightly shut eyes. With a groan he stretched out on the back seat, sighing contently when his back gave a satisfactory pop. Looking around, he realized that he was alone. Hurriedly he tore his phone out of his pocket, 8:25. 'Fuck.'

Griffin took his backpack from its place at the passenger seat. Mentally cursing himself, he ran his hands through his slightly knotted hair in an attempt to style it.

His sneakers squeaked against the pavement, backpack thumping against his back with each step. It was bitterly cold, even for California, and Griffin was just that more grateful for his almost abnormally high body temperature. Which allowed him the liberty to wear his closet staple; a plain white t-shirt.

People parted for him as he walked past, easily enabling him to get to his locker. Pulling the books he needed out and into his bag, Griffin slammed the door to his locker shut, the usual face of Maria Knot there to greet him.

"Well aren't you the little ray of sunshine today, Griffin."

"You just seem to have that affect on me, Maria. Now why the hell did you guys leave me behind?"

"It's my pleasure," Griffin smiled widely, "and you just looked so peaceful, I didn't have the heart." Maria was a breath of fresh air.

And then there was Luke.

"Hey there, Griffy!" The black-haired teen burst in between the two, wrapping an arm around each of their shoulders. "Did you have a good nights sleep? I know I did, nothing better than using your car's center console as a pillow."

"Now, that mustn't be sarcasm I hear, I thought you loved my rover," Luke rolled his eyes and led them down the hall towards the history class he and Griffin shared, Maria's French elective was somewhere upstairs. She left them at the door to the classroom, mumbling a quick goodbye before she hurried away— the halls starting to empty. "Hurry, I don't want to wind up next to Looney Lizzie like I did last quarter." Their laughter was loud, unbothered by the judging stares they were shot.

Griffin could barely sit down before their teacher started the lecture, "Good morning, everyone," Luke propped his feet onto his desk. "My name is Mr. Yukimura. I'll be taking over for your previous history teacher. My family and I moved here three weeks ago. I'm sure, by now, you all know my daughter, Kira." Griffin furrowed his eyebrows, surely he would have noticed a new girl at some point, especially if she was easy on the eyes. "Or you might not," he paused. "Since she's never actually mentioned anyone from school. Or brought a friends home for that matter."

He heard a thud directly behind him, and turned only to be met by a girl with dark hair face down on the desk. Griffin couldn't help but laugh, not feeling as guilty as he should have when she lifted her head to make eye contact. She smiled weakly, and he grinned back with every tooth on display.

Maybe he wouldn't skip out on history as much as he used to.