3- Family

"Work has been... Interesting to say the least," Y/n giggled to their best friend over the landline.

Just because there was now a multiple-state-wide gap didn't mean they were willing to lose the only close friendship they had.

"Ooooh! Tell me about it! Is there a cute boy?" Aanya cooed from the opposing line.

Y/n paused for a moment, flushing in the face, unsure how to address their interaction topic from a few days ago.

"Kind of... It's gonna sound weird though-" Y/n laughed trying to soften the blow.

"It can't be that bad! Unless he's like, cheating on his wife or something." She laughed back, clearly unphased by just about anything she was about to hear.

"Okay, okay- don't judge me though. Promise?"
"Pinky Promise."

A loud sigh erupted from Y/n's end of the phone, fidgeting with their fingers in anxiousness. "It's one of my higher-ups. He's got this weird mysterious aura to him. Just makes you want to understand him more, you know?"

Aanya giggled in response, "I knew it! Don't worry, my Boss is pretty cute too though. I just can't believe you're actually finding someone attractive! What happened to moving to Utah to become a good Morman with morals and shit?" She almost sounded relieved by the sudden break in strictness from Y/n's standards.

Y/n was mildly humored, somewhat happy to know that they weren't being seen as so stuck-up now. "I'm still a good person Aanya. I can find guys attractive!" Y/n retorted.

"I know, I know. I'm just glad to see you're letting loose. It's your life, not god's." She paused for a moment, trying to think of how to lighten the conversation once more. "What other mischief have you been up to?"

"Well, this kid that I work with, Mike. He showed me Mad magazine. Honestly, it's pretty funny, can't believe I missed out on that in high school."

Aanya gasped dramatically. Y/n could nearly envision her clasping her mouth and dropping to her knees like she used to do to get a good laugh. "So scandalous! How could you?"

"Oh hush, apparently a lot of kids are reading it now. I just can't believe the parents let it fly in a town like this. Or at least, I can't believe his dad lets it fly."
"It's not all that bad, just a little crude. I'm sure half the kids we went to school with read it."
"Okay, yeah, but that wasn't Morman-Ville." Y/n hissed the nickname, a consistent joke they had with Aanya since the idea of moving to Utah was ever mentioned.

"So what's it even like out there? Is it just all dirt and rocks?" Aanya asked inquisitively.

"Pretty much, a lot prettier than it sounds though. Gorgeous sunsets and pretty lakes. I'll be sure to send you some photos sometime."

"Thanks, please make sure to take some photos of you. I want to feel like I'm there with you until I can come and visit."

"Will do. I can't wait for you to come up. It'll be a lot more fun with you." Y/n paused to glance at the clock, about twenty minutes until their shift started. "But uh, I've gotta head to work. Sorry, Aanya, I'll call you later. Make sure to say hi to Brandy for me."

She giggled, "I won't. She would never let me forget to. Talk to you later, Y/n."

Click.

Y/n smiled lightly, happy with the short yet fulfilling conversation with Aanya.

With a large huff, Y/n pushed themself off of the couch and toward the newly hung mirror by the front door. They brushed their hands through their hair and headed to work.