20 | 𝐇𝐎𝐆𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒

'A dream does not become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work.'

chapter twenty
hogwarts

          Manifestation.

Manifestation is supposedly difficult. It's often like wishing for something that might never actually happen.

Alicia knew that Sirius was manifesting and unfortunately his manifestation was of the wrong type : impossible.

Her not leaving today would be impractical. She could no longer delay going to Hogwarts, could she? But who's going to make him understand this.

Alicia just stared at the wall clock whose hands seemed to be taking forever to move even a single step.

She bounced her legs in anticipation, glancing at Sirius who sat across her at the dining table in the kitchen. That one look instantly told her that he was still manifesting her stay.

She had picked this up the moment they'd entered the kitchen for breakfast.

"The world is a cruel place." Sirius tsked, shaking his head to himself. "It's very difficult out there, if you ask me."

Alicia nearly choked on the food she was eating on hearing these lines.

Was this supposed to make her stay?

"Look, Sirius, I completely understand." she said, wiping her mouth. "The world is definitely a cruel place, a dangerous habitat. But you gotta fight, gotta be the predator, not the prey. It's quite simple as that. Nowadays, they even teach this skill to children in school. It's very helpful, if you ask me."

Sirius drew a short breath, looking at her and then placing his elbows on the table top to lean forward.

"Yeah," he nodded, pursing his lips, "I get it. Being the predator instead of prey. Uhm, do you know how a lion hunts its prey? It waits, hidden in the bushes until the deer comes, and then, it pounces on it, taking it by surprise and then grabs it by the neck, stopping the whole circulation in the body and killing it instantly."

"The predator and prey, it was actually metaphorical." Alicia smiled at him awkwardly.

"Of course, yeah. This is also metaphorical. Like, you know, for example, you could be the lion hidden in the bush, like here, maybe, and pounce on the deer, whoever that could be. I mean, a whole lot metaphorical, right?"

"Yeah." Alicia nodded with a half-smile, before changing the topic abruptly. "You know, I'm very annoyed with Dumbledore right now. I mean, you are too, right?"

"Um... why?" he asked, perplexed.

"I mean why isn't he arranging you a hearing already?" she exclaimed. "You could easily prove that you're innocent. One drop of veritaserum, and everything will be solved. Peter will be proved the culprit. The ministry will start searching for him and hopefully arrest him soon. That will definitely put a kink in You-Know-Who's plan. And most importantly, you'll be free. Proved innocent. Isn't that what we all want?"