Dear Santa

🎶

White Christmas by Sleeping at Last

🎶

Dear Santa

This year I'm not at home. I write to you from the hospital, and I don't know if it has a chimney you can climb but there are SO many children here that I hope you will find a way. Also, that's why I don't have my good pencils. Daddy was going to bring them, but he couldn't because of the snow.

For the first time, I don't need mommy's help since I know how to spell even the bigger words. I waited till she was asleep to write. I don't like keeping things from my mommy, and I promise I have been REALLY GOOD ALLLLL YEAR. I didn't eat sweets before bed, and I always did my homework and never got in trouble at school or at home. I didn't even lie when I broke a plate (by accident!!!!) and that made both mommy and daddy really happy. That was a bit confusing... the plate was still broken.

This is the ONLY time I am sneaky.

What I want is really special, and honestly, it isn't for me. I have a baby sister, she is five and her name is Catherine, and she is as good as I am. Pinky promise!!! She is my BEST FRIEND and I love her more than aaaaaaanything in the world, so I want to give her the best gift in the whooole WORLD.

Catherine loves cats, she runs to them if we see one and she stays at the window for hours watching Jolly, an orange cat that likes to sit on the fence. But, because of my chest and my breathing, Dr. Penny said that we can't have a cat at home, and Catherine got sad. She wasn't mean to me or asked for one ever again, but I know that she wants one sooo bad.

So, Santa, pretty pleaseeee, for my gift this year, I want a magic kitten, one that will not make my chest hurt and that will make my baby sister VERY VERY VERY HAPPY!

I promise I'll find a way to leave you three cookies and some warm milk in return.

Thank you so much,

Helen Conerly