8 - Raziel

POV: Raziel

When the Mirestone girl is gone, I ring the bell for Cliffton. It doesn't take too long for him to enter the drawing room, this time without a tea tray. No need to be pretending when there is no one around.

"I need you on flare-watch," I tell him.

He sighs.

"Don't. I know there's more fun in the world than flare-watch, trust me."

He holds my eyes with his own for a long second, then nods. "Fine, Mr. Burton."

"Good. If you see anything, you inform me immediately," I tell him stern.

"Of course. Wouldn't want anything to happen to her..." He drags his words out.

"I know you do not approve of her. Trust me, I don't like this, neither. But we need her."

"You know I could've gone to that meeting, too, right? I could do these stupid tasks as well." Is feeling hurt? Jealous?

I stop myself from rolling my eyes. Mortals never cease to amaze. "I need you here. Now, no more questioning me. Bring me the paperwork from the room upstairs." With a wave of my hand, I wave him away.

It might not have looked like it, but for us, this was some weird intimate moment. I never told him I needed him before. Usually I would say, for him ten others. But it's true, without Cliffton I would be even less than I already was. He was the only mortal so far I had truly trusted with my secret... If Linnia doesn't count, that is. I shake my head, getting the thoughts of Linnia out of my head. I cannot think about her for too long, or it will consume me. That will never happen to Cliffton. Or the Mirestone girl. I cannot-

The door opens again, and Cliffton places the paperwork I asked for on the desk. I nod a quick thank you and he leaves. Off to his flare-watch.

I blow out the candle, who's only purpose was convincing the Mirestone girl that we all needed light to see. My eyes adjusting to the sudden and complete darkness pretty quick. I sigh deeply and try to focus on work.

After a few hours of reading and researching, I head back to the living room. Cliffton sits behind the piano. "What did I tell you?" I ask, my voice loud.

He jumps up. He did not expect me.

"I said I needed you on flare-watch!" Since when did he decline my demands? "Which part was not clear?"

"I stood there, looking at the forest for hours, Burton-"

"It's still Mr. Burton for you!"

"Not a single flare on the horizon! You expect me to stand there any longer, my brains will get so tired, they will hallucinate a flare! I do not get paid enough to stare for something that will not come!"

"And how do you know it will not come?" I am angry, I can feel the way my blood rushes through my veins. "What if she needed help? What if that flare went up, and you sat here? It would be your fault if she died! Not mine! I tried to keep her safe!"

"You tried to keep her safe?! Do you even hear yourself? You send her off to the Kendricks mansion! That is everything but safe! And now you wanna blame me, because you can't stand the idea of killing another-"

I keep my voice very calm when I interrupt him: "If you want to keep your job, you better keep your mouth shut, immediately..."

Cliffton falls quiet. He nods. He knew he stepped over a line.

"If that girl died out there, that would be on you," I tell him.

His face turns as red as the flares would have. Might have.

I rub my fingers over my forehead, frustrated.. Angry. "Flare watch. Right now. If she hasn't returned before nightfall-" But then I get interupted, by a knock on the door.