Chapter 15-The Truth

Carter finds me washing my face in the bathroom 15 min later.

"You look like shit,"

"Thanks," I mutter sarcastically. "Feel like it too,"

"Did you see that necklace Jack was wearing? I swear I've seen it before," Carter asks.

"No," I reply frowning. "I was too busy being scarred for life,"

Carter just shakes his head. "I think their kind of cute together," I glare at my best friend who begins to stutter. "I mean--only if you're into that thing, otherwise it's just plain gross,"

I comb my hair back using my hand. When did that happen? Is he seriously going to reject his mate?

I didn't realize I had spoken out loud until I heard Carter respond. "I'm sure he's just over invested in a fling. When he meets his mate he will come to his senses."

"I don't know, the Jack I know would never say something like that."

Carter raises am eyebrow. "The Jack you know?"

"Shut up," I mutter when I see his trading smirk.

"What's the real reason you're so upset and don't give me that 'he is a hypocrite' bullshit. I know you better than that," Carter tells me sternly.

I sigh in response. "I don't know Carter. I don't know."

The rest of the day is even worse as all anyone at school could talk about was Jack and Claudias relationship.

Even Alex looked surprise when he saw the two together but he took it in stride, clapping his best friend on the back and saying "I'm happy for you bro"

By Wednesday, I'm sick and tired of seeing Jack and Claudia, and I effectively avoid looking at either of them at all during the school day.

However on Saturday, I run out of luck and I'm forced to help Jack give some of the younger wolves a lesson on the moon goddess.

When I see Jack, I do a double take and not in a good way. His usually bronze skin is paler than usual and he has dark circles under his eyes.

I fight the urge to ask him if he is okay and sit down next to him at the front of the makshift classroom.

We had a few rooms like this in the pack library and usually they were used to educate young wolves in the pack on werewolf culture.

Eventually, all the young wolves shuffle in looking very uneager to spend their Saturday morning learning more about the moon goddess.

At this point, Jack looks like he is going to pass out and before I can ask him if he needs some water, his eyes roll to the back of his head and he passes out.

I'm barely able to catch him before he hits the ground and I tell one of the kids to go find the pack doctor and the alpha. Usually I would have just mind linked them but in my frazzled state I was panicking and couldn't think straight.

The Alpha rushes in with the pack doctor following closely behind him. "Jack!?!" the Alpha shouts hoping that somehow his only son would wake. For the first time ever, I see tears start to well in the alphas eyes. Even though he never showed it to the one that mattered it was evident that he loved his son.

I follow the Alpha when he picks up his son and carries him to the pack hospital.

Two days later and no one still doesn't have any idea of what's wrong with Jack. Carter and his family were coming over today after school to see if it was some kind of magical illness.

When Carters mom comes in the room, she frowns and her eyes narrow in on the necklace Jack is wearing. Due to avoiding Jack for the past week I still hadn't taken the time to study the necklace that Jack now wore 24/7.

"That definitely reeks of dark magic but I can't recognize the signature."

"What?" the Alpha looks alarmed as he moves to rip the necklace off his son.

Carter's father grabs his wrist. "We don't know the effects removing it so suddenly would have,"

"If that's the reason my son is in a comma, then that's all the reason I need," The hot headed alpha replies with a glare.

Carter's mom Jessica steps in and placates the alpha by explaining that they need to know exactly what kind of spell was used because some spells have protections on them which cause more harmful effects if removed or tampered with.

My grandfather then comes in and when he sees the necklace his eyes widen in fear.

"What's wrong?" I ask worriedly and slightly curious of what could make my strong and proud grandfather cower in fear.

"It's been year's but I could recognize that necklace anywhere," My grandfather takes a deep breath and looks almost pained as he says his next words. "That's the Felixius stone."

We all look at him confused and silently urge him to continue on. "I was only a boy when I saw it but, it's a stone that can force the wearer to fall in love with the one that places the necklace on them."

Confusion marrs my face. How does that cause Jack to be in a comma? My grandfather seemingly picks up on my unasked question and elaborates.

"Werewolves tend to love and long for their mates and since Jack is an alpha it's no surprise that his wolf would fight back against the spell. That's why he is in this state. He and his wolf are fighting back against the spell because they only want their mate."

"Is their a way to fix this?' The alpha asks.

"Only his mate can fix this. After all, true loves kiss can break any spell," My grandfather replies sadly.

"That's so sick!" Carter shouts in awe. "I always thought true loves kiss was a fairytale thing," Carters parents glare at their son and Carter looks down in embarrassment realizing that what he said was probably not the most appropriate for the situation.

"Sorry," Carter whispers sheepishly.

"Bryce, why don't you and Carter go find something to eat." I can tell it's an order and not a request so I reluctantly take Carter with me and we leave the hospital room so that the adults can discuss their plans in peace.

The two of walk in silence when Carter says something that snaps me out of my thoughts. "Do you think Claudia was the one that cast the spell?"

My eyes widen in realization. "That Bitch!"