𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝔀𝓸: 𝓗𝓪𝔀𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓼 𝓛𝓪𝓫

Hawkins, Indiana - Hawkins Lab

*a few months later that same year*

*?? POV*
  It'd been about 6 months since they'd brought this new girl in. When I was informed that we were getting a new person, I didn't expect it to be a four year old little girl who was completely oblivious to her powers. Apparently, she knew absolutely nothing of them. Although, something intrigued me. She's only been here 6 months, and yet she has some of the best control over her telekinesis. But ever since she got control, her behavior changed. She got quieter and grew distant from the other children. She sits alone at free time and often, she appears to be in some sort of trance. The intriguing part is that that isn't where it ends. At random moments, she'll look around as if she's been called out to. Now, of course Papa saw it too. He got her checked, but the doctors claim it's trauma. Now I'm not sure how they brought her here, so I can't quite rule out that possibility, but her behavior reminds me an awful lot of myself...

*time skip to freetime*

I scanned the room as all of the children went around drawing and playing with toys. Well, all except one. My eyes stopped when I saw her sitting at the table as she stared at the chessboard like usual. I noticed as she anxiously fidgeted her hands under the table. I walked over to her and took a seat across from her. She had no reaction, almost as if she hadn't noticed my presence at all. "Hi there." I greeted. She looked up at me. "Hi..." she replied quietly, seeming even more anxious. Her voice was quiet with a hint of tenderness. A part of me felt a wave of sympathy for her as the feeling of similarity grew ever so slightly. "Am I...in trouble?" she asked, looking down at her hands as she fidgeted. "Of course not!" I said immediately. "You haven't done anything wrong. I just came to talk. Is that okay?" I asked, not wanting to force her into conversation. She nodded as she slowly looked up at me. I smiled at her, causing her to tilt her head in confusion. Another more genuine smile made its way to my face before she also let out a smile. "What number are you?" I asked, attempting to start a conversation. "Five." she replied, showing the tattoo on her arm. I nodded in response and she went back to staring at the chessboard. "Do you know how to play?" I asked, noticing her stare. Her eyes seemed to brighten ever so slightly as she nodded excitedly. "Well then, you go first." I offered. She looked back down at the board before moving one of her pawns with her mind. I chuckled. "You like your powers, huh?" I asked. She smiled and nodded. "It feels nice to use them, doesn't it?" I asked, moving one of my pawns with my hands. She looked at me and nodded before moving another one of her pawns. "You like being alone?" I asked, moving my rook. Her smile faded as she stared at the board again. I waved my hands in front of her, causing her to jump. She instantly looked down, apologetically. "Sorry..." she whispered. I gently grabbed her hand from under the table and held it comfortingly. "It's ok! Are you ok?" I asked, concerned. I noticed as she also moved her rook before answering, "I keep hearing things..." she said nervously. My curiosity sparked as I moved another pawn. "What things?" I asked. She shrugged lightly as she moved her knight. "Do you know who's talking to you?" I rephrased, moving my bishop. She shook her head no timidly before moving another pawn. "Has Papa taken you to the doctor?" I asked, moving my rook again. Still timidly, she nodded this time. There was a moment of silence.  "They think I'm crazy, don't they?" she asked suddenly, moving her Queen. To be truthful, I was slightly taken back, but I also didn't want to lie to her. She was right about that. They claim she has PTSD, but even just sitting here for the short 8 minutes that I have, it's becoming more simple to rule out that possibility. I nodded, but hesitantly. She looked down as I moved my Knight. "Do you think I'm crazy?" she asked, moving her second Knight. I paused for a moment to think before shaking my head no. "Wanna know a secret?" I asked. A curiosity sparked in her eyes as she snapped her head up at me. I looked down and moved my Queen before returning her gaze. I leaned in towards her and lowered my voice to a whisper. "I can hear people too-" I whispered. Her eyes brightened and for the first time since she'd arrived, she appeared genuinely happy. "Really? So...I'm not crazy?" she asked, voice hopeful. I smiled and shook my head no. "Who are they?" she asked with even more curiosity. "They're always different. Sometimes, it sounds like your siblings-" I paused and leaned in and once again lowered my voice to a whisper. "Sometimes, it sounds like Papa..." I added. She turned her head to look at Three, who was drawing next to Two. I furrowed my brows in confusion as she stared. "I hear them." she said in a monotone voice. I followed her gaze before focusing on Three. "What are they saying?" I asked. She closed her eyes and appeared to go into some trance. I continued focusing on Three while I waited for her to say something. "They're talking about a house....by the beach...they-" she stopped abruptly as she opened her eyes, now full of frustration. "They stopped." she said, anger lacing her voice. I smiled, forcing myself not to smirk. I was right... "Good job! I heard it too, but I think that's enough for now. You should rest, but I'll be back tomorrow." I said, getting up. She smiled as excitement mixed with the frustration in her eyes and nodded. I smiled in return before going back to standing by the door. As soon as no one was looking, I let the smirk creep onto my face. My suspicion was right. She wasn't like the others and nor did she have PTSD. She was like me. She's different...