Against All Odds

Word: Habakkuk 3:17-19

Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines;

even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren;

even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty,

yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!

The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights.

Food for the soul:

- Haven't we also experienced the same situation as Habakkuk did many times before? There is a considerable lack in all areas of his life and in the entire nation as a whole. He sees the problem, but he chose to look past them and instead worship the Lord by writing this song of praise. 

- It is easy to thank God and declare praise when prayers are immediately answered, there is an abundance of material wealth or as they say, 'everything is going smoothly as it should' but what about those times that we are going through the dry season of our lives? Like the prophet Habakkuk, may we choose to praise the Lord despite all the difficulties we are going through. 

- In these three verses alone, the mention of the words 'even though' and 'in spite of' were more than once. It gave us a glimpse of the writer's heart that he deliberately chose to look past those issues, not ignoring the truth, he is facing, but focusing his heart's attitude and mindset to respond with a positive outlook grounded in God's promises.

- A heart that is steadfast in God's Word will never be shaken no matter what they are going through or will face in the future. To rejoice in the Lord and keep on praising Him in the midst of turmoil is an act of faith. 

- It doesn't matter how long or short our problems are, God will pull us through. We are encouraged to trust in His never ending grace, strength and provision. He will provide every time. He will meet us where we are at in this point in time. 

- Yahweh is our strength and as He has done so many times in the past, He will sustain and teach us to depend on Him. He loves us too much to abandon any of us. Let us hold on to Him by constantly choosing to praise and allow hope to rule our hearts over our situation both now and in the future. 

Prayer: 

Abba Father, we acknowledge today that we are nothing without you by our side. As we go through difficult and rough roads in life, please strengthen us when we grow tired and weary. You have proven yourself faithful before, by faith we declare you will continue to be faithful still. We speak of your sustaining grace over our lives to see that no matter what happens, you are still in control.

Open the eyes of our hearts so we can see through the issues we face that they are only temporary. As we wait in joyful hope for the fulfillment of your Word, we will rest in your comforting presence and receive your peace in any given circumstance. 

Lord, protect our thoughts and our hearts while we look forward to your beautiful promises. Use us to also testify and encourage others who are going through times of testing like us so they too can put their trust in your name. These we pray in Jesus name. Amen.