Chapter 6

When I wake up, it's started to get dark. I sit up, slowly, my eyes adjusting at a pretty crappy rate. Blegh.

As I turn to my right, I see some dark figure in my tent, and let out a gasp, somehow too scared to yell. Just as I start to feel palpitations, my eyes catch up, and I burst out laughing. Looks like Ariadne hung up a beautiful black dress in my tent.

I get up, and look at it closely. There's red crystals encrusted around the waistline, and the dress overall is kind of... Reneissance style. On my bedside table, I notice a few other things. A small bottle of perfume, and two rustic looking pencils, one red, and one black.

I try not to tear up. How pathetic am I? This was just so sweet, considering we just met.

I hear people starting to gather outside, and I decide to attend. I throw the dress on, and using my crappy little hand mirror in my bag, carefully apply eyeliner and red lipstick. After tidying up my hair with my comb, I poke my head out of my tent, and decide to wait a few more minutes.

I hear music begin to play, and I smile to myself. It's actually pretty. I hear acoustic guitars, cello, drums and piano.

I decide to join the party, and pour myself a glass of wine, keeping a low profile. As I take my first sip, I smile faintly as I hear Vessel's unmistakable singing voice. Hoping he doesn't see me, since we're not exactly on great terms, I watch from the back of the crowd, though, despite the mask, I'm pretty sure we briefly make eye contact.

I down the rest of my wine, while it's evident the song is coming to an end. Another starts, though I can't hear any vocals.

I place my glass on a table, and as I look up, Vessel is standing in front of me.

"I didn't expect to see you here. I thought you'd be hiding away." He says, quietly.

"Likewise." I respond, and decide I need another glass of wine, so I pour it carefully.

I lift it to my lips, and he opens his mouth to speak. He shuts it again, and I raise my eyebrow at him.

"Where did you get that dress?" He asks, seeming half interested, and half trying to make conversation.

"It was left in my tent. I think Ariadne gave it to me."

He smiles, ever so faintly. After a deep breath, he speaks again.
"You look beautiful."

"Thank you, Vessel." I respond, suddenly feeling shy. Not like me at all.

"Finish your drink." He says, suddenly being stern, and again, unlike me, I do as I'm told. I finish the wine, and put the glass down. He holds his hand out to me, and though I don't know what it is that he wants, I instinctively take it. He takes me closer to the fire, and gently places my hands on his shoulders. He places his hands on my waist, and we dance. Once I can let go of the people whispering and staring, I have a good time, and after about half an hour, I let go of him, and get another drink.

"I can't tell you how well you fit in here." He says, probably trying to be nice.

I glare at him, and go to walk off, but he stops me.

"Oi. You know how I meant it. Breathe, and don't let it leave a bad taste in our mouths."

I take a few deep breaths in, and nod, to show that I'm calm.
"Okay. Okay." I say, quietly.

I notice Ariadne, out of the corner of my eye, and dash off towards her. She smiles at me, and I hug her tightly.
"This dress is beautiful."

"I'm glad you like it. I had been working on the dress for a little while, but I sewed in the rubies. I thought the black and red would kind of match Vessel."

I bite my lip slightly, a little confused.
"How'd you know I would dance with Vessel?"

She shrugs.
"Educated guess."

I look back at Vessel, and notice him quickly drinking a cup of wine. I give Ariadne another smile, before I go back to Vessel, and take the cup off of him.

Fuck it.

"Mask." I snap at him, and he stares back at me, but after a few seconds, lifts his mask, and places it beside his drink, on the table. I pull him closer by his jacket, and kiss him, taking him by surprise. After a few seconds, he wraps his arm around me, and kisses me back. I pull away, and see his widened brown eyes staring back at me.

I notice, for a second, he looks sad, but quickly reverts to his usual stern expression, before spinning on the heel of his boot and walking off.

Okay.

I'm done.