Chapter 21

I open my eyes, and look around an empty tent. I feel weaker than I ever have, but I'm actually sort of shocked I'm alive. It's dark outside, but I hear the fire crackling, so it isn't too late.

I sit up in bed, and Seph, at my feet, notices. She gets up and barks immediately, and I flinch.

"Seph, shhhh..."

She keeps barking, until Vessel rushes in. She stops as soon as she sees him, and snuggles up to me.

Vessel sits on the bed beside me, and takes his mask off to look at me properly.
"You're okay."

"Okay is a very, very strong word. But I'm alive."

He runs his fingers through my hair, and gently kisses my forehead.

He places a bowl of vegetable stew on my lap, and pats Seph while he watches me eating.

"How long was I out?" I ask him.

He thinks.
"18 hours, maybe."

"That's not too bad. Don't suppose we're closer to knowing who's doing this?"

Vessel shakes his head.
"I'm sorry. But when we know, I swear, they'll more than pay for it."

"Don't they need to have a trial with your god, and not you?"

Vessel shrugs.
"I'll ask for forgiveness, I won't ask for permission.

"I'm really impressed that you stopped me dying. You'd have made a great doctor."

"I wasn't very calm."

"Doctors aren't calm, they just pretend to be. We see people bleeding out, and we move like clockwork, but in our heads, we're like, shitshitshit."

Vessel laughs, and continues to watch me.

Alec pokes his head through the door, and smiles.
"She's okay? Yes! She's okay!" He says, and I smile.

"Thanks for checking, Al-"

He runs in and picks Seph up and spins her around.
"I was so worried, I thought someone was trying to hurt you." He says, and Vessel looks at me, and tries not to laugh.

Alec puts Seph down, who snuggles back up to me.

"Hi, Iris." Alec says. "Good to see you're not dead."

"Thanks."

"I promise I'll help Vessel slaughter whoever tried to hurt my little Persephone."

"I appreciate it."

Vessel glares at Alec.
"Busy. Get out."

Alec does as he's told, and Vessel holds my hand.
"Want to see if you can walk?"

"I can walk, idiot."

"Then show me."

He helps me out of bed, and I wobble and immediately fall. He catches me and sighs.
"I've got you. Maybe some more bed rest is what you need."

I shake my head, and get my balance.
"I've got it."

I take a few steps, and I sit down, exhausted.
"Fuck that."

I look at my reflection in my pocket mirror, and I'm horrified. Pale, dark eye bags, and a huge red scar down my neck.

I tear up slightly.
"It's so ugly."

Vessel frowns at me, and takes a look, himself.
"Scars are sexy."

"Oh yeah?" I say, incredibly sceptical. "And the fact that I look like I've been dead for a week?"