09 | zoey - butterflies

track #02 in zoey skye sinclair

stayc // butterfly

THE ROOM goes silent as Gwyneth marches up the stairs with every ounce of rage and strength she can muster, and the rest of us immediately stare at Kun and Aiden and start yelling.

"How could you hurt Gwyn's feelings like that?" asks Cady, using her infamous glare from all those years ago. "She just got a call that both her parents have been kidnapped. Imagine how you would feel in that situation. I'm so disappointed in you both. Cold and heartless. Can you be more sensitive next time and grow a sense of empathy? Don't say things like that when you clearly know she's hurting."

"Well, what was I supposed to do?" snaps Aiden. "We all know that James is already here. If we don't do something soon, they'll attack, and there will be consequences. Like they'll open fire sooner. If we surrender, they'll give the people back, and nothing will happen!"

Tristan sighs. "Aiden, don't you think we know that? It's not like we don't want to surrender – we just can't. Where should we get the money from? Besides, we have a mission already now, don't we? Plus, it wasn't the right time. Now look at what has happened. Gwyneth's mad at Kun and you. There's no point in arguing anymore. It'll just break our team apart from the inside even more. She's right, you know. We're supposed to depend on each other, so why can't we trust her for once? It's her parents. As you guys do this, you're just letting the distrust come between us!"

He turns his back to Aiden, facing his laptop once again.

"I still stand by what I said," Kunboss says out of the blue, and all of us except Aiden turn to him, arms crossed. He shrugs at the action. "What? I know we don't have the money. The whole point of what Byrok's doing is either them or the Adelaide Woods. They're just holding us at gunpoint. They don't care if they hurt anyone. If we can't surrender, we sacrifice – it's them for the price of the whole city! Why are you guys still protecting Gwyneth? Don't you understand? If we sacrifice properly, nothing will happen. If we don't do anything, the Adelaide Woods will be in danger."

I stare at Kun in disbelief, not saying anything. Eunice, Cady, and Tris huff.

"I can't believe you, Kunboss. We grew up with Uncle Tommy and Aunt Angela. For god's sake, they're your best friend's parents. They took you in when your parents were at work, gave you a place to stay for sleepovers, cooked for you, and let you in. They kept you in their hearts as Gwyneth's best friend. They loved you. Now you want to leave them to die, to suffer? How would you feel if your parents were kidnapped and all of us just decided to give up on their lives in favor of saving ourselves?" I question in my usual soft voice, but a hint of sarcasm is present.

And unexpectedly, Kun shrugs. "They'd approve. Making sacrifices for the greater good was all they taught me – don't take risks. Also, it's not just for ourselves – it's for the sake of the entire population! It'd be the same even if it were their lives."