25 | kunboss - regrets

track #04 in kunboss ryder bailey

twice // stuck in my head

THE REMINDERS of Zoey's words to me last night echo in my head as I'm aroused at seven-thirty by the sounds of the shower turning on – someone must be getting ready to go out.

***

"It can't go on like this," she said, and I sighed. "You really have to stop being so insensitive. Everyone's fed up with you at this point – why do you have to keep bringing the topic of Gwyn not 'being a good leader' up? She's been trying her best and contributing because she wants to help. And you haven't had a problem with it since the Hunger Games period, so what's the difference?"

I shook my head, bringing the sheets closer to my chin. "The problem is how she thinks she's the only one suffering – my parents have mortgage problems, and I'm working another job, earning more cash, to secure the funds for them. Now that we don't even have money not under Byrok, how will our future be guaranteed?" I exclaimed exasperatedly, mad at them for not understanding.

"You're not the only one suffering, and so is she. Aiden and Tristan have experienced the loss of someone they held so, so close to them. Aiden's girlfriend, who he loved more than anything else; and Tristan's own twin sister, whom he spent every second of his life with. I ask you, when have you seen either of them without the girls they love the most?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"But why? If Gwyn had just surrendered, Byrok would have left. Nothing would have amounted to this. Anson wouldn't have been shot by Byrok. The only thing is that something would have to be sacrificed," I said again.

Zoey sighed. "We've already talked about this – we can't afford to sacrifice Gwyn's parents. You know how important they are to her, and to us too."

"You're too emotional!" I yell exasperatedly. "If we had paid the ransome that we obviously cannot afford, so what? If we got her dad back, so what? The damage has been made. People are dead, Zoey. War will start. And it's too late to save it. Why can't you guys just understand?"

Huffing, she got up from my bed and plonked herself on a chair. "I'm telling you this for your own good because I- never mind. Now that it's 'too late' anyway, why don't you think of a method that will work? She's already trying her best for us. It's hard on her, Kun. Even for all of us – seeing Tris lose his sister, Aiden lose the girl he's been pursuing for something like a decade."

"SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THE REST OF US!" I screamed, unable to control my anger. "Because she was selfish, because of one stupid decision that Gwyneth Anderson was unable to make, the whole world is in danger! And the future that we all carefully mapped out is gone!"