Chapter 5

There was not much Jonathan could do after you revealed your secret. So he told himself to keep an eye on Lex. Especially since this one was different from what they were used to. Lex had been spending a lot of time at the barn, much to Jonathan's dismay. He still didn't buy the amnesia bit. But he knew there was very little he could do to stop you from helping him.

Lex leaned at the side as you continued to stack the hay. You moved almost effortlessly. He had to remind himself that you weren't any normal farm hand. Sporting a baggy blue plaid shirt and a pair of jeans, Lex just studied.

"So far what I've gathered is that nothing has changed."

Lex covered every base of knowledge he could on Smallville. All the events that took place in his reality were perfectly reflected here. Earl's attack on the plant. His father shutting down said plant. All the things in between. Nothing was different except for the clear gender swap. Lex had even enlisted your help. Since you were so forthcoming with all your secrets, he didn't see the point in hiding any of his. In this place, it felt useless to have them. You had insisted that you would help him figure it out.

"You're saying you remember everything, it's just that a few pieces are swapped."

"Exactly."

"Hmm."

You stopped for a second, brushing your hair out of your face.

"But in your memories, I'm a guy?"

"Yes."

You just laughed.

"That's crazy. I'm a girl." You smiled at him, and Lex could literally see the comparison. You had the exact same smile too.

"You have no idea how crazy this is for me." Lex said, looking down at his hands.

Somehow he thought maybe he was still in a coma, and his body was nearing the point of death. If he would indeed die, he supposed this wasn't a bad place to be. You spotted the worried look, and you placed the tool down.

"Lex, no matter what happens. I promise I'll do everything I can to protect you."

There's that earnest Kent look. He forgot how many times he'd seen it. It never got old. Looking at you so concerned for his well being was touching. He always had to remind himself to look over his shoulder in the past. That not everyone liked his name, that legacy. But here with you, any version of a Kent, there was always that need to protect. To help. Another quality he admired greatly.

"Every version of you has a hero complex."

"I-I don't have a hero complex!" You got defensive, and Lex laughed internally.

"It's my turn to probe you. Aside from crazy speed and strength, what else are you packing?" The question caused you to shift.

"You really don't remember huh."

It was a soft musing to yourself. He caught the brief look of guilt again. Whenever you thought of his accident, it would rush to the surface. Before Lex could even say anything, you planted a smile on your face. He knew it was a defense. You didn't want him to worry, and he didn't want you feeling guilty every time he brought up this situation.

"I have x-ray vision, super hearing, and heat vision."

Lex thought you were maybe pulling his leg. But the way you fidgeted, he realized that was far from it. You turned, almost like you were shielding your body, your heart from any scared reaction you thought he would give.

"It's a lot. My father..my biological father used to say that earth's sun is what gave me my powers. Somehow on earth, all my senses are enhanced. Any other kid would probably be ecstatic. But remember the first time they came. My first run happened when I was just a little girl. Only six..."

Lex took it all in. Every detail. Because with every part he learned, the more he felt like a terrible friend. He spent so long looking into Clark. Trying to uncover the truth behind his back. But it was clear why the Kents were always so cautious. So distrusting of him.

You swallowed, looking down at your feet.

"My mom told me nothing was wrong with me. I was just special. Her special kid. But deep down..it was frightening. There are times where I wake up and wish that I was never born, that I had never come to Smallville."

"Don't say that!"

Lex snapped, and you turned, jumping when he grabbed your shoulders.

"Your mother was right, you're special. You're so special. You're probably the only great thing to come out of this town." You were taken aback by his words. He was still holding you, almost pleading with you to reconsider your words.

"You don't blame me? I-I'm the reason you're bald you know."

Lex couldn't help it, he had to laugh, and your cheeks colored as you looked away.

"I think baldness is the small price to pay for the arrival of a great person."

"I'm not great.." You murmured.

"You are great. You're amazing (Y/N)." He sounded so sincere.

"You're incredible."

He insisted. You bit your lip. Although Lex was different, there were still parts of him that never seemed to change. His utter faith in you.

"(Y/N)."

The voice of Jonathan Kent pulled you both from the moment, and Lex released you, taking a step back. Jonathan's hand folded when he stepped in.

"I need a hand with the tractor. "

"O-Of course dad I'll be right there." You walked around Lex a bit nervously, sending him a little smile as you did. One he returned. Lex's eyes followed you all the way until you were around the corner.

Jonathan still stood there.

"If you hurt my daughter, I swear I don't care what your last name is, I'll come after you."

Lex knew he meant it.

He learned a long time ago that there was nothing Jonathan Kent wouldn't do for his child.