Night 12

"HAVE YOU HEARD about the renovation yet?"

"Oh, man! Not this!" Zon changed the ear he held his phone to, snorting under his breath. He had heard about it; their parents went nuts. "It's your fault, Zol," he said. "You showed the website to Mum, remember?"

"Oi, from the two, I'd bet it is Dad who's a shopaholic!"

"Please!" Zon stretched while taking the cups to the sink. A gentle waterfall splashed in the bathroom, a soft hum along with it. "Have you seen their garage lately? They are both hopeless!"

The water stopped, but not the hum, and a moment later, Saifah clicked the doors open. A few curls above his waistband teased Zon's attention more than he would like to admit.

"Zol, I have to go."

Saifah watched him with his sly, intrigued smile, his lips spreading across his face.

"What can be more important than your beloved sister?"

"Literally?" Zon paused. "Everything."

He cut the call, feeling parched.

"Sister?" asked Saifah. Zon nodded. "That cute one?"
"Pft!" Zon snorted and rolled his eyes, putting his phone aside. "She's anything but cute."

On his way to the bathroom, he grabbed a fresh towel and smacked it across Saifah's butt. The cute one! As if! He dropped his clothes on the floor and jumped under the shower. The water rushed, splashing around his feet, Zon scrubbing his body in frantic circles. He needed to wash the reality out of his mind. It was time to focus on his book instead.

Lune and Solaris, Lune and Solaris... Zon mumbled their names until the characters appeared in front of his eyes. Finally! The picture was vague, but good for a start. The water snugged around his body, and the images flowed in a slow display. First, it was Lune, too cocky to make it out of the run. Then, it was Solaris, with their golden eyes full of worry. If after that, Lune would... No, this wouldn't make sense. But if, instead, it was Solaris' reaction... Yes, then it would work. Zon frowned, getting closer and closer to the clear idea. His heart sped up, his eyes shut, and then—

Crack. The doors opened.

"What the fuck, Sai?" He yanked the curtain, glaring at his lover, standing in front of him with a toothbrush in hand.

"What?" He seemed abashed, but it was Zon who was confused even more.

"What what?" he spat. "What are you doing here?"

"I...forgot to brush my teeth?"

"But I'm taking a shower!"

"So?" Saifah looked him up and down. "Are you shy, or what?"

"No!" As if he cared about that! "But I'm trying to get into my zone." He started to gesticulate, his hands flying up and down. "Listen, I need my space, my own sphere where I can let my imagination flow, just me and my head, and—"

"It'll take a sec."

Zon huffed. And that would be it for that border, keeping him away from the mundane. "Can't you use the kitchen?"

"If you had just let me do it, I'd be done by now."

Pursing his lips, Zon counted to five. "Fine." He closed the curtain. "Just make it quick."

The water dripped upon his shoulders, the brushing sound clear and sharp. He hung his head and propped his palms; the tiles against them cold. He did his best to shift his focus back, but without success. Saifah wasn't loud, of course, but the knowledge of his presence tickled Zon's consciousness like a centipede nested at the back of his head. He disliked that sensation, but not even half as much as he had expected. And although Solaris and Lune were far away, at least he was able to grab an inkling of the mood.