The Vampire Diaries Imagine #2

Imagine: Slow dancing with Klaus Mikaelson.

Requested by: @waywardimagines on Instagram

"Maybe I shall meet him Sunday..." Ella Fitzergerald's song plays in the background, but you hardly pay attention to them. Instead, all of your attention is drawn on Caroline, who's dancing with the one person in the world you know you're supposed to hate because of all of the hurt he's caused those closest to you: Klaus. For some reason, you've always felt almost drawn to him. Maybe it's for the same goodness deep down that you think your friend Elena might have seen at some point. Then again, she has always tried to see the good in everyone... even you, when you rose from the tomb with a blood lust at the Founder's Day Festival a whle back. She was able to convince you with the help of her friends to get you to turn your emotions back on.

Now more than ever though, you wish that you'd never made the vow to yourself to turn them off again. Love and heartbreak are two of the main reasons that you did it before you entered the tomb in the first place, because the people you trusted most were the ones who put you in there to begin with. However, these new feelings for someone who looks just as broken with a family just as broken as yours was aren't completely undesirable. Love is not something you ever thought you would find again, yet here you are.

Watching the vampire that has brought so much pain to so many causing a different kind of pain for you right now. This kind of pain is emotional, and you can't simply heal from it with a bag of O negative blood. You could listen in on their conversation with your heightened sense of hearing, but you know not much good can come of that. Klaus loves who he loves, and in your mind, who are you to stand in the way of that? With a pained expression on your face, you look away and around at the various couples joined in on the slow dance on the floor and lock eyes with Tyler, who you figure must be feeling the same way.

Fortunately for him, he's smart and close enough to Caroline to know that she will never feel for Klaus the way that she does for him. Unfortunately for you, Klaus has never given you that privilege.

"And so, all else above..." You look away from Tyler and back over to Klaus and Caroline, who you're suprised to see is staring at you. In that same moment, she pulls away from Klaus and you see her give you a small smile and sympathetic look. To hide your disdain of the situation, you turn around and are just about to leave when you feel a strong hand grab yours. It gently pulls you around to spin 180 degrees until you come face to face with Klaus who's actually smiling without a mischievous undertone for you what might think is the first time you've ever seen.

"Hello, love." He says. "May I have this dance?" Without waiting for your reply, he grabs you by the waist and leads you back onto the middle of the dance floor in almost a waltz before slowing back down to the speed of the song.

"...what are you doing?" You ask, looking at your right hand in his left and shaking your head slightly.

"I'm dancing with you." He retorts, letting his usual sarcastic charm take over.

"Yes, but why? You clearly looked like you were enjoying yourself with Caroline." You mutter, still looking at your hand in Klaus'.

Rather gently for Klaus' standards, he lets go of your waist with his right hand to put a finger on your chin to make you look at him. "I wasn't. Just exchanging pleasantries, love.."

"Stop calling me that." You blush and look away again, still swaying with him to the music.

"From which I'll never roam..." The lyrics continue.

"Now why should I do that?" He says. You don't say anything, and he puts your hand back on your waist. "Ah." He chuckles as he puts the pieces together. "I simply just wished to say goodbye, is all."

"Goodbye?" You finally speak up.

"Yes, I'm leaving town tomorrow." You look at him again, and he chuckles again softly. "I wanted to wish her the best of luck with her small town boy and small town life... and tell her that as much as I wished I could take her with me, that invitation is not hers to receive." You frown in confusion and pulls you a little closer so you're forced to rest your face on his chest as the next slow song starts up. "I told her there was someone else I'd much rather show what the world has to offer."

"...oh? Who?"

"Must I say it?" He chides quietly. "Of course, it's you." You gasp and you feel his chest shake a little with silent laughter. "You really didn't know? Seems like your beauty might outmatch your wits, it seems."

"Hey, now!" You protest which only makes him laugh outloud as you sway slowly.

"I do mean it though, Y/N... I want you and I to see the world together. When you're ready." He pulls away so you can look into each other's eyes so you can understand just how serious he is. Opening your mouth to speak, you find that words are failing you. Just as slowly as your swaying, he pulls you back into him and you close your eyes in contentment. "You don't need to answer right away. For now... we can just dance."

So you do.