chapter i

Olympus, 2005

"What are you talking about, Zeus? The Masterbolt cannot disappear in thin air," Hera sighed, pinching her nose bridge, already tired of her husband's attitude.

"It was here moment's ago!" Zeus roared as the throne room shook, nymphs screeched in fear as they ran off to hide from the angry God. "It was stolen! It was by my hands just a moment ago, and now it's gone. Hera, do not dare lie to me!"

"I am not lying, just thinking rationally. Perhaps you misplaced it somewhere," the Goddess reasoned; she didn't feel the need to have another problem on her head with the Masterbolt gone. And, to be honest, she knew how her husband could have misplaced it and was set on blaming somebody else.

The Winter Solstice finished moments ago, Hades retreating to the Underworld, and the campers back to Camp Half-Blood. The loud chatter dimmed as everyone walked back to their homes.

"What's the reasoning behind this shouting?" Athena questioned as she walked into the throne room. She had just bid farewell to her children and went to find her father in a state of fury.

The rest of the council began arriving, along with Meria, who was walking beside Artemis and Apollo, the three of them already tired of Zeus's tantrum. A third one this week and, if Meria had counted correctly.

"My Masterbolt was stolen!" Zeus bellowed as distant thunder could be heard. Meria was sure that an intense thunderstorm was brewing in the Mortal world, and all she could do was a pity the Mortals.

"What do you mean it's stolen? Are you sure you didn't put it somewhere else?" questioned Poseidon in an irritated tone. He was already annoyed with his brother after their petty fighting. The typical 'Mother always loved me best,' or 'Air distarters are far more impressive than sea disasters.' It was a daily routine.

"Nobody would be that surprised," muttered Apollo under his nose. He only received a nudge from his sister to be quiet, glad that Zeus didn't hear his son's quip.

"Perhaps, you have stolen it, brother? You wish to overthrow me and take my place!"

Meria winced at Zeus's tone, and despite thinking logically and staying away from Zeus's idiotic accusations, the urge to stand up for her father was taking over.

"How could he possibly steal it?" Meria questioned with a raised eyebrow as all eyes landed on her. "Gods can't steal each other symbol of power, don't you remember, Uncle?"

It was sometimes annoying when Zeus blamed her father for every little problem—reasoning it with her father's "need" to become more powerful or just to spite him. It would be a miracle when Zeus would, for once, accept the blame. Now she began to wonder, was there ever a moment when Zeus did accept the blame?

"And you are no God. Perhaps you are the one to fulfil your father's bidding when he cannot do it himself," Zeus seethed, his eyes narrowing on Meria.

Suddenly protests were heard from Meria's father, Apollo and Artemis, who vouched for her, saying she was by their side the entire Solstice. But Meria silenced them all with a scoff.

Meria's eyes were wide as she heard Zeus's accusation. Despite not being an immortal God, she for sure had their pride and arrogance. "So now you blame me," Meria fumed. "Oh, dear Uncle, you lose sight of your so precious Masterbolt, and so you accuse me of theft! You reason it with me not being a God like you, so you act as if I would do so! Is this what you believe? That I sto-" A loud storm was brewing as waves began to be harsher, the nature showing both Zeus's and Meria's fury.

"That is enough," Hera's firm voice interrupted Meria, knowing that if the girl said a word too much, she would be in trouble. "I have full trust in Meria. She has been by Apollos and Artemi's presence all night. I am certain they can vouch for her." She raised a pointed brow as if threatening the twins to say otherwise.

Artemis and Apollo didn't hesitate to confirm Hera's words. They both knew it wasn't possible for Meria to steal the Masterbolt herself since she was literally next to Apollo and Artemis all night, talking to the God's children and catching up with the Huntresses.

There was silence before Meria spoke up hesitantly, trying to be careful with her next words, "I do not wish to offend anyone; however, let me remind you that we just had visitors."

"Please, you accuse our children of theft? What use would they have of the Masterbolt?" Ares scoffed.

"Well for one, this," Meria said as she spread her hands out, indicating their brewing argument. "Think about this; a conflict like this could cause chaos to rise. I do not know as to why a demigod would have any use fot that. However, we cannot ignore the possibility."

"There is some truth behind that," Athena reasoned. "On the other hand, we cannot be sure that this wasn't perhaps a Gods bidding by their child's hands." Protests were heard from each of the God's as they all swore that they had not ordered their children to steal the Masterbolt. "Maybe we may even have to acknowledge the other God's."

"I believe that perhaps, we should section out a few of us, the Masterbolt is a powerful source so the thief couldn't have gone too far," prompted Meria.

"Very well. Apollo, Athena, Artemis, Ares, and Meria, since it was her idea, will go search for the Masterbolt," Zeus announces, his decision set in stone. A quiet groan left Meria's lips as she heard that she had to go and search for the dam [:)] Masterbolt.

However, her self-pity was quickly interrupted when Zeus suddenly chuckled quietly. Everyone turned to him in question, wondering why his sudden change of mood, "I believe that this is a perfect occasion to give Meria a chance to prove herself and also fulfil the Prophecy."

Meria looked at Zeus with wide eyes, her body still. Sure, Meria was waiting for the moment she would have to prove herself. However, she believed she would have some preparation.

"And since everyone here loves a challenge, perhaps I shall strip Meria of all her powers just so she can show how worthy she really is," Zeus smiled cooly. "Meria, daughter of Poseidon, do you accept the quest to retrieve my Masterbolt in order to prove your worth before the council? Has the Masterbolt not be returned before the Summer Solstice, you shall perish in the depths of Tartarus."

A few Gods who cared for Meria tensed at Zeus's words. It was not that they didn't have faith in Meria, more or less the fact that if she were to fail and not return it in time, she would suffer a fate worse than death.

Meria froze as she heard Zeus's words. Tartarus was a place where people suffered a fate worse than death. Never-ending pain and torture for eternity. Meria fiddled with her hands out of nervousness. If she doesn't accept this quest, she will ultimately fail. Either way, both options sucked.

Meria sucked in a sharp breath and hesitantly said, "I, Meria, Daughter of Poseidon, accept Lord Zeus's quest to retrieve his Masterbolt before the Summer Solstice in order to prove my worth before the council."

"The mist shall cover your identity, so you do not encounter any problems in the meantime. We do not need our children fighting against you. The cyclopses shall craft you your armour and weapons, which you will use during the fight." Poseidon informed, worried for his daughter, whom he had seen grow up, something he hadn't had a chance to do for a long time.

"Very well, let's not dwell on the matter too long, shall we?" Zeus clapped his hands. It seemed as if his mood was slightly lifted after realizing he could send Meria on a quest where she might fail. "Sit," he ordered as a chair appeared in the middle of the throne room.

Meria had no choice but to comply, most likely figuring Zeus was planning to strip her from her powers. She wondered what it felt like had not seen it ever in person.

Suddenly Zeus grabbed her shoulder roughly as Meria began to feel dizzy; it truly felt as if somebody was sucking out her soul from her body. Her eyes became hooded, and Meria felt she was shrinking back to her mortal size. Before she closed her eyes, she saw the eyes of her mother smiling at her reassuringly.

Then it went black.