CHAPTER 1 - The Bounty

Alynna's head grew wary and heavy as she traveled on her fair white stead. Her long fiery hair blew in the wind, making her pointed elf ears stand out. The night was falling on the long and narrowing Valorian road she was on. It was a useless journey, Alynna scorned to herself as she got off her horse.

The purpose of the journey was to make the kingdom leaders come to some sense and agreement, for them to rejoice as they did in the golden ages when everyone was one and didn't have separate names. Nobody was the same after the split. Everyone was scared. Even the most powerful leaders.

She tugged on her beautiful white mare to some clearing under some trees and let go of the reigns.

"I must be crazy." Alynna whispered more to her horse than to herself. She talked to her mare often as any devoted rider would and it would always seem to understand.

Anna set camp there for the night keeping a low profile as all odds could allow. As she sat there in front of a dim campfire, she started to fondle the silver engraved locket around her neck which she almost kept hidden underneath her clothes close to her heart.

Her great-grandmother was a fine woman, Alynna remembered when she was young. And strangely, she had died a sudden death after falling ill. It seemed to Alynna that a sickness ran in the family. She knew that her ancestors, especially of the females had died of this sickness. It started to happen right after the Split. Soon Alynna would be facing this perilous trouble but now it was affecting Meriele Enroris, Alynna's beloved mother. This is why Alynna was on her way back to Darmasthea. Back to her home kingdom. The place she grew up in.

Unexpectedly her eyes became glassy as tears started to brim up. She closed them and let them drip. She had failed them all in a way. She couldn't make the kingdom leaders come to an agreement. By the end of this journey, she was hoping for them to reunite and that clearly was not going to happen. Alynna, the daughter of the grand advisor to the king of Darmasthea, she thought to herself slowly.

Before she knew it, her horse's head met hers in a very comforting way "Oh, Shadow, my love" she muttered stroking her mare "I'm okay. I'm fine.. really, I am."

Shadow was such an odd name for a white beauty of a mare, others thought. But Alynna named her horse that name because her mare was different and very peculiar. When of all names, Alynna had tried calling, Shadow was the name her horse had neighed fondly too. So Shadow it was.

"Let's get some rest, yeah?" She asked Shadow staring into her lovely brown eyes. "We ride first thing tomorrow."

* * * *

When day dawned the next day, Alynna set off again on her way. It was a long and tiring ride, and she stopped time to time for Shadow to rest itself. Before long they had reached the entry gates of Darmasthea's kingdom walls.

The night was pitch black and the only thing keeping from blinding her, were the fire torch lights etched in the gates. The gates were wooden and fairly tall with large pointy spikes. Its large shadow cast itself on the ground making everything even more darker.

Alynna ushered her noble stead to walk a bit more closer to the gates-man. He was in charge of whoever entered the kingdom of Darmasthea.

"It's Alynna" she said for a bit. Her voice was slightly coarse from the day's sun and longing for water and shelter "Alynna Enroris" she said when she had cleared her throat.

Everyone knew Alynna in the kingdom. She had lived here for 28 years. And she knew almost everyone except the travelers that wondered in an out of the kingdom.

"Miss. Enroris, ma'am." The gates-man spoke as he tipped his hat. "Everything go as you expected it would?"

Alynna shook her head silently, not wanting to talk to anyone about what had happened. Not yet anyway. Everyone knew what she had set out to do. And of course no one expected any positive outcome.