Chapter 13

Her heart pounded in her head and her blood rushed through her ears drowning out all noise. She was still on the floor, her body ached and was bloody with the memory of Jacob's attack. No, Apollo's attack.

Morpheus' final words flitted around her mind, don't eat the valerian root.

How was he giving it to her? It would have to be something consistent, valerian root had an awful taste if she remembered correctly her brief talks with human apothecaries centuries ago. He would have to have been masking the taste somehow. How?

She could only hope that Morpheus found her before she succumbed to the Valerian Root again.

Her whole body ached as she attempted to move, her celestial healing had obviously not done much to help. She wondered if it was a consequence of loosing her wings that -what she assumed to be - hours after her attack, she was still bruised and bloody and felt as though she has been hit by a truck. It was not a good feeling to say the least. No, that was too painful a thought to dwell on.

Her memories were still foggy and she couldn't quite remember everything. Some things were still being kept at bay by some invisible force. The kind being who struck her as familiar had done a lot to return her memories. But whatever spell Apollo had woven through her mind had been too much even for them.

She could hear Apollo moving around downstairs. She was almost afraid to move in case the floor boards creaked. Slowly, she rose into a sitting position. Her hair fluttered into her face, breaking away from where it and been stuck to her head. Her platinum hair was stained a pinkish colour from the blood that she knew would take a few washes to remove. How was she meant to keep pretending to live her life knowing that this evil, insane fallen angel had tampered with her memories? How was she meant to treat him as she normally would?

He was humming, the sound had drifted upstairs to her ears. It was too painful to move, but she knew that she needed to. Clutching onto the bed pole she dragged her body into a standing position, wincing as something cracked as she stood. She definitely had a few broken ribs.

Now that she was aware of who she was, now that the block on her memories had been removed; she could feel the phantom feeling of feathers brushing her back, it tickled and brought a tear to her eye. She almost attempted to expand her wings before the sickening remembrance that there was nothing there to extend hit her. She would have to savour the phantom feeling, knowing that she would never feel the actual feathers ever again. It was heart breaking.

Gathering her confidence and holding her breath, she lowly inched towards the door. Each step she took sent panic coursing through her veins. She grabbed hold of the handle, the cold metal sending a jolt through her. She attempted to open the door. It wouldn't move. It was locked. She cursed under her breath and then paused, hoping that Apollo hadn't heard despite the distance between them. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know how to escape. 

The stairs began to creak. He was coming up. 

She could hear rattling as he was walking, like he was carrying something. The lock in the door began to shake. The door swung open. He was stood on the other side, a tray of tea held in his hands and a hesitant smile on face.

"Hey, darling. You feeling okay? You went a bit crazy before." He said slowly as if she was a wild animal. His eyes kept glancing to her hands, as if he was expecting her to hit him. "I'm just gonna put this down over here. I've called Dr. Lohan. She's gonna do a house call to address your behaviour." He set the tray down on a side table and slowly moved back towards the door, he never once turned away from her.

"My behaviour?" She hissed. He was the one that hit her.

"Yes, your behaviour. You went all crazy on me, I had a concussion from where you hit me. Friends don't hit each other, Stray." She was confused, he hit her, he beat her, she had practically died. She scoffed.