Chapter 8

The sun had risen and the clock on the wall marked nine AM.  The ticking was both annoying (echoing in Xavier's head), and oddly soothing.  It was a sound he could latch his focus into to keep himself grounded.  The last thing he wanted was to have a panic attack.  They never helped in any situation.

Why was it that everytime one thing got answered, a thousand questions would add onto the unanswered ones?  The soul of a dead pilgrim in his body?  And Thornhill wanted to help it take over?  In short, he could be possessed at any given moment or was he safe as long as the mad woman didn't give him the serum?  Explaining the situation was even harder.  It was hard enough to wrap his own mind around it, let alone help someone else understand the new development.

"Interesting…" Wednesday muttered.

"Interesting?" Xavier raised a brow.  "The dude who shot you with an arrow is supposedly in my body and that's what you say?"

"How am I supposed to react?" She shot back.

Xavier clamped his mouth shut.  She was right.  He didn't even know how to react so who was he to judge her response?  Not that he did.  He just hadn't been expecting that one, which he should have.  It was Wednesday after all.

He tapped the heel of his foot in fast motions, anxiety running through his blood.  He wasn't sure if he could handle any more unexpected events.  At least not without a good night's sleep.  But that wasn't going to happen anytime soon; considering every time he tried, it led to an event even worse than the last.  Which then caused his body to fall back into adrenaline and become restless.

Running his right hand through his hair, he lifted the stray strands out of his eyes.  "I'm so tired," he muttered.

"You should sleep.  It's been a long night," Morticia said.

"How?  How am I supposed to sleep after that?  Ever?" Xavier stood up and began to pace the room.

"Well, the first step to fixing things requires a brain that's actually functioning properly," Wednesday retorted.

His head snapped in her direction, but didn't say anything.  He couldn't deny it.  Exhaustion was definitely starting to take a toll on him, but he hadn't expected that it was so bad that Wednesday had to point it out to him.

Cruise entering the living room made them fall silent.  The three of them looked at him.

"What are you doing here?" Xavier raised a brow.  "Usually the check up is monthly." He rubbed his face.  If his father really wanted the stupid answers to the questions, he wasn't getting anything.  Not for a while.

"It is," the man said. "But I didn't come here to give a survey.  I'm here to prepare for the homecoming of Vincent Thorpe."

Xavier's head shot up as he gaped at him.  "My father is coming here? Now?"

"He will be here by tomorrow morning," Cruise confirmed.  He pushed his golden rimmed glasses up his nose.  "His return is temporary because his business meet up has been canceled.  That should give you enough to sort out your…" the man looked over at Wednesday and Morticia.  "Your affairs."

The boy clenched his jaw.  He cast an icy glare at the man.  "They're guests.  If he has a problem with it, he can bring it to me."

Most People Say Thank You, But I Would Die for Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें