Chapter 9

At this point, Wednesday questioned why she was even trying to sleep. Her body was sluggish and her eyes were heavy, but her brain was wide awake. At any slightest noise, she'd jerk to grab a random weapon from the stash she was holding by her bed. And then it would turn out to be nothing.

She had only come to Xavier's home to protect him. Maybe it was because she felt guilty for her mistake, framing in as the hyde. Or maybe it was because it was the right thing to do. She didn't know and didn't really care. All she did care about was the fact that she had failed. So far, he almost got killed, Thornhill broke in, and Tyler broke in after. And it All happened while she laid in bed.

Sighing, she got out of bed, brushing her hair out of her face. She grabbed the gun and her sword and left her room. Once was down the hall and reached Xavier's room, she opened it to peek in the room. He was laying in his bed sleeping peacefully. At least, it looked like it. Nothing seemed amiss.

Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to put her soul at rest. Cursing herself, she slipped through the door. She peeked in the closet and double checked his windows. They were locked and the closet was messy, but nothing out of the ordinary. Getting down on her hands and knees, she checked under the bed. All she found there was a stuffed bear that felt like it had been very well loved.

"What are you doing?"

Wednesday snapped her head up to see Xavier sitting up in his bed. "Checking safety," she retorted.

"Ok, well, did you find anything?"

"Just this." She tossed him his bear. He caught it.

"Uh... huh, don't know how that got there." He shoved it to the other side of the bed.

"Your room seems secure," she began. "I'm keeping watch, just go back to sleep."

He snorted back a laugh.

"What do you find so funny about this?" Wednesday frowned. If anything, he should have probably been concerned why she came into his room in the middle of the night, but he seemed more amused than anything.

"Nothing." He cleared his throat. "Well, there's an extra pillow and blanket in the closet. If you're sticking, make yourself comfortable."

Wednesday decided to take him up on his offer and grabbed a pillow and blanket from his closet. She moved to the corner of the room which allowed her to watch all the possible entrances. Propping the pillow up, she leaned against it and pulled the blanket up to her waist. Then the watch began.

She pretended not to notice that Xavier had fallen asleep, cuddling his stuffed bear. Who was she to judge? She spent many nights sleeping with her knives. Plus the plushies always seemed to make Enid happy and more relaxed when she became anxious. But it apparently embarrassed him, so she felt it would be cruel to point it out in the morning. Or maybe she would. His reactions were rather interesting to her.

Her eyes dropped as the hours passed, she clenched her weapon tighter. As much as she willed herself to remain awake, Wednesday eventually drifted off. Her eyes snapped open. The sun was beaming through the window and Xavier remained passed out in his bed, bear in arm. She would have to point it out.

The sixteen year old looked at the clock. The numbers read eight fifteen. She wondered if she should wake him to give him time to prepare for the return of Vincent Thorpe or if she should let him sleep to get a few more minutes of peace and rest that he desperately needed. She had noticed the dark circles under his eyes getting worse. He probably had as much sleeping as she had.

The decision was made for her as Xavier woke up himself.  He sat up and looked at the clock, frowning. Then he caught sight of Wednesday, flinching.  He set a hand on his forehead.  "I forgot you stayed the night…"

"Technically it was morning," Wednesday retorted.

The stuffed bear dropped to the floor as Xavier stood up.  But considering how distressed he already appeared, Wednesday decided to postpone teasing him when she could actually enjoy it.  Right now, they all had a little too much to think about as it was.

He grabbed his clothes out of the drawer and left the room for the bathroom.  Wednesday cleaned up the pillow and blanket from the corner and put it in a folded pile in the corner.  Then she left the room to return to hers where she got herself ready for the day.  Something told her it was going to be a long one like they seemed to become lately.

When she was done, she went downstairs where she found Xavier sitting at the kitchen table.  He was poking at his plate of eggs rather than eating them.  She couldn't blame him.  She didn't feel much like eating herself and she didn't even have an absent parent showing up so suddenly.

"On a scale of one to then, how much of a douchebag is he?" She asked in a dark tone as she poured a bowl of frosted flakes.

Xavier merely snorted in reply.  "He's not that bad."

"Your lack of answer says otherwise," she retorted.

He shook his head.  "Doesn't matter. He'll only be here a few days anyways.  Just until business calls him away again."

"So a nine?" She raised a brow.

"What would make him a ten?"

"I'll rate him when I meet him," she said at last.

"Let me know if he passes the test," Xavier chuckled.

She glanced at him.  His shoulders weren't as stiff as before, indicating that he was slightly more relaxed.  At least she was able to make some progress before the man actually arrived.

Wednesday would be lying if she said she wasn't curious about meeting Xavier's father.  But that was just a part of her.  The other part wanted to run a knife through his neck, but she supposed that would be murder.  And murder would do nothing but land her prison.  Even she was above murder.  At least the murder of the innocent.  She had a few people on her list that she wouldn't mind going to jail for killing.

She was pulled out of her thoughts upon hearing someone walk in the room.  She turned and looked.  It was the maid that let her and her mother in.

"Mr. Thorpe has arrived," she said.

Wednesday watched the color drain from Xavier's face.  He clearly wasn't prepared.  Everytime she heard of that man, she began to dislike him more and more for Xavier's sake.