IV

I follow after the two, the aching pain shooting up my foot as I try and keep up.

"Well if I'm like a child, then... uh look, maybe you should teach us." Jake says, trying to keep her talking.

She keeps going, not looking back. "Sky people cannot learn; they do not see."

I trip over myself trying to balance on the fallen tree, a long and painfully hard to look at drop off the sides. This world was scary and beautiful and so treacherous.

"Then teach me how to see."

"No one can teach you to see."

He hops over a piece jutting out of the wood, I slowly make my way over it.

"Look come on, can't we talk?" He almost begs,

"Say look where'd you look to speak English, Doctor Augustine's school?" He slips his footing and almost falls; she catches him by the arm and glares when he straightens up. I hold the back of his arm steading myself, like hell I've come this far and die by falling.

"You're like a baby." She pushes his arm and hisses, speaking in Na'vi—I'd crack a smile at how this situation looked and sounded but I'm a little scared she'll hit me. He looks her up and down trying one more time,

"Look, I need your help."

She curls her lip at him in a frown, "You should not be here."

"Okay, take me with you."

"No, go back." She gestures her head out making herself clear as she turns and starts walking again.

"No."

She shoves him back, speaking to him in Na'vi in a sprout of anger and frustration.

"Go back. You and her." She stops herself and looks up, I follow after her and see these white things, my breaths taken right from my lungs as I realize these are woodsprite, the very thing I've been waiting to see here when I saw an illustration from Grace's book.

I open my hand palm up as one touches me before floating up again and landing on my forearm. I smile as the thing, not knowing whether it was a plant or creature or neither, tickles my arm with its limbs. Jake slaps one not thinking twice,

"Jake!" I exclaim glaring at him, the woman shouts in Na'vi pushing his arm down, only for him to try to slap another with his other hand.

"No!" She shouts, grabbing his forearm before he hit it. She grips his arm and scolds him in Na'vi. More continue to land on me and now him as well. I look at one, crossing my eyes, as it lands on my nose. A small smile lifting my lips as it bounces on my nose for a moment.

"What are they?" Jake asks,

"Seeds of the sacred tree."

I chuckle as they freak Jake out. It was funny to see someone with little knowledge of the life in this world be put in it with a doctor and a native.

"Very pure spirits." He stays as still as a statue,

"Uh-huh." He chuckles, I smile even wider as they all flew off me as they did him.

"What was that all about?" I finally speak up, asking her, she pays no mind for a moment as she speaks in Na'vi under her breath.

"Come." She says quietly before repeating herself and grabbing Jake's arm as well as mine.

"Come!" She pulls us off the tree arch and rushes off, touching plants here and there.

"Where are we going?" Jake asks, he notices the plants beside us glow when touched and starts smacking them.