Chapter 5

Rhaenyra:

I found myself pacing the throne room at Dragonstone. I had only come for some peace of mind, everywhere I turned, people only stared in fear or whispered about Daemon and me.

Although none of the rumours was true, I secretly relished our power.

For the first time in years, I was anxious. I had never let myself feel like this before. Not even before any battle or diplomatic conversation. As of tonight, we would be returning to Kings Landing.

Alicent would be there, the only thing I had heard about her since I left was that she remained in Kings Landing with my father. It had been 10 years since I last saw her. Surely, she had changed, and my mind led me to dread all kinds of situations. Perhaps she had moved on, and grown to resent me. Maybe I wouldn't be enough for her anymore.

My fingers traced along the outline of the map of Westeros, carved at the command of Aegon himself. This was my birthright, my fingers rested on King's Landing. I wanted to rule with her, not Daemon. He was too clouded by revenge and whores.

I was ten times the warrior he was, and Alicent was worth ten times more than I. Who better to bring the seven kingdoms to peace than the both of us?

Daemon interrupted my thoughts, his boots thudding heavily towards me. "We must prepare now." He was expecting conflict, and I prayed it wouldn't have to come to that. I feared what I could be capable of if Alicent's fate hung in the balance.

Alicent:

"I think it's best you stay away from the dragon pit Alicent." He slammed the door shut in my face, I pounded a few times on the wood in a feeble attempt at catching his attention. "I am the queen father you can't keep me here".

Of course, he didn't respond. My father was adamant that I remain away from Rhaenyra. More likely keeping me away from Nyra than protecting me from her. Perhaps secretly he always knew how I felt for her.

All I could do was wait; the window had a clear view of the dragon pit, the night was crisp, and the yellowing moon cast the darkness in an eerie spotlight.

I waited for a while, allowing the chill of the evening to seep into my bones. I couldn't tear myself away even to put on something warm, for fear I might miss the only glimpse I'd get of her.

I was finally beginning to give up hope, convincing myself she wasn't coming. Until I heard the swoop of wings from above. Like a thunderclap nearing the castle, the dragons still weren't in view. I craned as far as I dared out of my window, to attempt to see her.

I drew in a breath as both Syrax and Caraxes shot over the castle. I tried to catch a glimpse of Rhaenyra, willing her to turn back and look at me. All I could discern was her hair glinting white in the moonlight, her dark armour shimmering dangerously. Battle attire suited her more than the corsets and dresses we used to wear. But just like that, she was gone. Both dragons settled into the dragon pit, far from my view. I couldn't bear the thought she might leave without seeing her.

I crossed over to a wall hidden by drapes. I had only ever used these once before, asking the seven that I wouldn't be caught by guards along the way. I pushed into the wall. A panel creaked open, the darkness leading into the catacombs under the castle.

I crept into the tunnels, leaving the panel ajar. I felt my way in the darkness, my fingers trailing along the walls for guidance. I directed myself toward the throne room, breathing in the damp air as I went.

It felt like an age, till I came to what I remembered to be the door to the throne room. A look of surprise crossed the Commander of the Kinsguard's face. "Ser Criston, I demand you let me in, by order of the queen." He nodded without saying a word, opening the doors with ease and I slipped through before he could change his mind.

Rhaenyra:

I couldn't help but fuss over my armour. Nerves plagued me as guards led us up the stone steps towards the throne room. Alicent would be there surely, I wondered what she would be wearing, or what she might think of me after all this time. I mused over what I should say to her. Just a curt hello? Or should I pull her aside later?

I became so lost in thought I didn't realise we were stationed outside the throne room doors. The guards left leaving only Ser Criston Cole, who silently held out his hands only saying, "leave your weapons here."

Reluctantly I undid Dark Sister from my waist handing it to him. "If you touch that sword, or it's missing when I come back. I'll skin you alive myself."

Ser Criston's face dropped, and his fear was palpable as the room became silent. It seemed people here were unused to the person I had become. However, my reputation clearly preceded itself. They knew I was entirely capable of following through with such threats.

I wondered what Alicent would think of the things I'd done. Although the lengths she had gone to, to preserve her position in court. Perhaps I should be the one questioning her morality.

The doors swung open revealing my father sitting atop the iron throne, Otto stood at his side his expression remaining vacant. But there she was standing to the right of the throne, her hair fell in neat curls. The emerald dress she wore accentuated all the right parts of her perfect body. We locked eyes for a minute, and staring into her bronze eyes again made it feel like I had finally returned home.

"Rhaenyra, how long it has been my child?" Viserys rose from his seat opening his arms in a wide gesture. As father began to near the both of us Otto's voice rang out. "You would kneel before your king."

Daemon slowly dropped to one knee, yet I kept my back rigid. Raising my eyes to level with Otto's. He tried to cut in again "Rhaenrya..."

I silenced him, losing patience for him already. "Need I remind you, Hightower, you will address me as Queen of the free cities. Furthermore, this matter does not concern you, so I would suggest you hold your tongue before I remove it."

He became quiet after that. I noted Alicent's expression had changed however, something closer to disapproval or fear, I couldn't distinguish. I silently cursed myself for being so harsh. I had become convinced this was only a mask; a product of Daemons training. I didn't want her to think this is what I had become.

"Daughter, I have been brought much troubling news about your... Violence across the narrow sea. I fear you have lost your way Rhaenyra, so tell me what brings you to Kings Landing?"

Daemon rose from the ground, "it is time for new leadership brother, I have brought to you not just a princess, but a queen fit for battle, and fit for the throne." My father became confused, giving Daemon the opportunity to continue. "You neglected her brother, forced her into tight dresses and paraded her about the court like a trophy. But here stands a warrior before you, with more conquests than you or I put together. She is the queen destined for greatness, and it is time for her to take it."

Whilst Daemon had been crouched he had slipped a knife from his boot. He rushed forward pulling my father in close and driving it into his ribs. I knew Daemon had found his mark as my father let out a gasp.

Viserys turned to me with tears in his eyes, and a pang of guilt shot through me as he spoke "Rhaenyra... why?"

Daemon twisted the knife, jerking it out and letting my father fall to the ground. I brushed the guilt aside as quickly as it came, "This was necessary father, for everything you've done."

I looked up at Alicent as Viserys lay dead at my feet, her gaze full of horror. "What have you done? You will be executed for this." The first words I had heard her say since I left, only filled me with pain.

"Let me explain I..." Daemon cut me off. "Both of you poisonous Hightowers listen to me now, and neither of you has to die."