𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍; betrayer

          𝐌arlowe would've lied if she said she was surprised Sheriff Shoupe hadn't believed them.

He'd judged them with such scarce trust from the moment they stepped over the door trim, a kind of authority questioning why the four teenagers were crowding, and smelling up, his office at the end of his shift.

In the midst of the disappointment, the girl had zoned out from the conversation around her. Her head is resting against the cool window of the green SUV, blue eyes on the night-clad trees and houses darting past them.

Just because he's not in his damn home, does not mean he was a victim of a homicide. That's what the sheriff had said after being handed the murder weapon. He hadn't believed their evidence for even a second.

"Maybe Ward bribed him," the brunette utters after a good twenty minutes of keeping her words to herself. The events of the day have drastically caught up to her.

She nearly drowned, in vain.

JJ keeps glimpsing over at the drained girl slouched against the door, attempting to understand her unusual quietness. And after she finally breaks her streak of silence, he allows his gaze to linger.

"That's what I've been sayin' all along," he speaks, his voice calm and collected despite the meaning of his words. "Can't trust the cops unless you're, like, filthy rich."

Marlowe lifts her head to look at him, knowing he's right. She purses her lips, shakes her head in dismay, then places it back against the window. "What a world."

Pope sinks in his seat. "That's one way to put it."

Kiara parks the car outside Heyward's. Marlowe feels her limbs go tight with soreness, so she doesn't find it in her to hustle out of the vehicle. A grimace glues itself to her soil-coated features as she stands up straight, a hand coming up to feel her forehead.

She's absolutely exhausted.

"I'll fetch some extra clothes," Pope offers, moving toward the front door. The group always keeps a set of spare clothes at each other's in case of emergency.

The brunette clears her throat, about to thank him when Kiara beats her to it.

"Yeah... thanks."

Heyward's shop consists of two outdoor showers, which they've arrived to take advantage of. Neither Marlowe or Kiara dare to show up at their doorstep drenched in sewage. The questions would be unavoidable.

"Go," JJ nods sideways, referring to her clothes as he elaborates, "I'll bring 'em to you."

Marlowe's lips curve into a slight smile, gently squeezing his upper arm to show her appreciation. "Alright."

The blond offers her a nod, lips drawn in a tight line. His pondering gaze follow the sight of her figure until she disappears around the corner of the building.