Chpater 12 // War is coming.

-Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again — the fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love ... illusions. Only the ladder is real, the climb is all there is.-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Rowen's dress"

August 17th, 2006.

Volterra, Italy
Rowens pov.

I strolled through the corridors towards the throne room, my black armoured gown fluttered behind me as my guard fell in formation.
Pushing the doors open, I ignored the curious eyes of the kings and moved to sit in my chair.
Caius brought his gaze to me, mine finding his, worry mixed with adrenaline pooled in his eyes. I knew that the Romanians had angered him greatly not only by their treachery, or their alliance with the children of the moon but also that they had threatened to kill me.

The room was filled with every guard we had, the looming threat of the Romanians left everyone uneasy.
After a few moments, aro stood to speak pulling my attention from my husband.

"We have encountered this pest before, we have crushed them beneath our boot before. Yet they plan to abolish the monarchy, kill your good queen, and destroy our coven... and as before we will crush them beneath us, like the scum they so clearly are.
Do your duty, uphold your oaths, protect the crown."

Aro's voice remained impassive, the guards all murmured in agreement at his words.
Glancing at Caius I stood to speak, the crowd growing silent, as I held my arms in front of me.

"We have a solid foundation of strategy beneath our belts, to which will most certainly result in the least amount of loss but greater success.
We move at dawn, we have the element of surprise but it is a full moon tonight so remember your training, use your senses and always be aware, you must be ruthless and brutal, but cunning and relentless. Everything in which our enemies are not, they have underestimated our coven... let's ensure they do not make the same mistake again, for if you leave one alive, the rest are never safe."

My voice rang out strong, the guards began speaking amongst themselves and the kings stood everyone falling silent again, I was first to descend the steps, Caius by my side, aro and Marcus following behind.
Once we had left the room aro and Marcus left to prepare for battle, whereas Caius and I turned towards the stables.

Upon reaching them Freya began huffing in excitement, Ajax was more boisterous in that he kicked his back legs up multiple times once Caius came into his view.
My husband ran his hand over Ajax's snout, hushing him calmly.
I strode towards Freya whose inky black coat shone beautifully.

"Hey my sweet girl, how are we faring today?"
I ran a hand over her neck, a thought occurring in my mind. I turned to my husband, his attention on me instantly.