The Search

There was a firm knock on the door as Cello swept the day room. He put his broom down as he walked towards the door. Once he opened it, a messenger appeared with a letter in his hand.

"Clairmont residence, sir," the messenger said. When Cello took the letter the messenger headed to his horse to go back into town. Cello looked down at the letter. "Urgent" was written on the letter in calligraphy. Cello did not delay a moment longer as he made his way further into the house. His stepfather and stepbrothers were in the den discussing the events from the previous night when he knocked and opened the door.

"It's almost like you didn't even try to find a nice woman," his stepfather said, looking to Adam as he spoke. He blew a huge puff of smoke out of his mouth. "You only drank wine and when that gentleman caught everyone's attention, you were the first to speak to him."

"I..." Adam stammered. He hadn't touched his cigar. "There were no women that were pretty enough for me." He was clenching his fists.

"Those women wore masks," his stepfather told him, his voice rising in agitation. "There's no way you would have been able to see who was pretty or not. Why didn't you speak with any of them?" Adam looked away from him. Draven sat next to his brother but said nothing. He didn't want to get involved.

"Um, sir," Cello attempted to interrupt, clutching the letter in his hands.

"I need an answer, boy," His father stood up and walked to where Adam was seated. "NOW!" He boomed and Adam flinched at the sound.

"Sir!" Cello spoke up, breaking his stepfather's focus away from Adam.

"What is it, boy?!" His stepfather now stomped his way to him. "What is so damn important that you interrupt a conversation between me and my real sons?" Cello let the comment about "real sons" roll off his back. Since his mother died, his stepfather went through great lengths so show that Cello was not his son nor would he be treated or loved as one. He was used to it.

"For the Clairmont residence, sir," Cello handed him the letter. Behind his stepfather he looked at Adam who only stared into the fire that lit up the room. Adam quickly wiped the tears that fell from his eyes so no one would notice.

"What is it, father?" Draven asked.

"Another letter from the King and Queen," he said and quickly opened the letter. "It says it's urgent." Both of his sons were now looking at their father as he read over the words in the letter. Cello had to admit that he was also curious and also very nervous. Could it have something to do with him and the trouble he caused at the masquerade?

"Anything important, father?" Draven asked.

"It says here that the King and Queen are looking for the gentleman in white and gold," he said aloud as he read off the letter, "any details on the man would be worth a lot of gold. It also says that he left behind a ring and whichever man's hand fits the ring will marry the... Prince?" His stepfather was very confused when he read that. Cello nearly fainted when he heard that. It wasn't possible. It couldn't be possible. Was Gabriel... the Prince? He had only known of Prince Gabriel but never met him in person. He also knew that Gabriel was a common name in their country. He never had a reason to believe that the Gabriel he met, danced with, and kissed could have ever been the Prince.

"So, the Prince is a fairy?" Draven asked laughing. Adam only looked completely stunned, like his entire world shattered on learning the news. Cello looked at his left hand and only saw his scar. As soon as he went to bed last night, he noticed his ring was gone. He believed that with all the chaos he caused, leaving in a whirlwind, that he somehow managed to drop his father's ring. It seems that when Gabriel took hold of his hand, he accidentally slipped the ring off of Cello's finger before he ran away. Cello nearly burst into a fit of squeals as he couldn't contain his happiness. Prince Gabriel wanted to marry the man he met last night. Prince Gabriel wanted to marry him.